Topic Sponsor

89 Brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 Brake lights

Hey guy's. I have a 89 f150 xlt lariat 4x4 with a 8 foot bed. Starting after I got the truck when my grandpa passed away the brake lights would go out. After a while we found out the fuse was blowing every once in a while. Right now i just replace the fuse once a day if I drive it regularly. The fuse is 15 amp sometimes I put a higher amp so it doesn't blow as quick (I know its risky). We think it is a short in the wire but as i said its a 8 foot bed so i think it would be hard to find. I wanted to know if there was easy way of finding it or if it was complete different problem? Would like to get my grandpas truck running in top shape.

Thanks for the help

P.S. first post
Old 11-21-2013, 09:54 AM
November 2011 TOTM Winner

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts

Pull and replace the bulbs, clean the sockets. Easy stuff first. Since it doesn't happen immediately, its not a dead short, its an intermittent short, probably the result of vibration. Difficult to track down but not impossible.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I will try that when I get a chance. I replaced the bulbs when I saw there were no brake lights. So I will clean and check the wires.

Quick Reply: 89 Brake lights