Topic Sponsor

89 4.9 Not Running Right. Ignition Control Module?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 89 4.9 Not Running Right. Ignition Control Module?

Ok so I have an 89 F150 4.9 liter, 5 speed, 2wd, single cab, short bed, dual tanks. The issue is that the truck will start up fine and idle (most of the time). Then when I run it for a bit and it warms up it will start to choke out and eventually die. Like it isn't getting any fuel. I have had a couple of people take a look at it, one said that it was overloading with fuel which I don't think is the issue, but one mechanic told me that he thinks it could be the Ignition Control Module. He said that if it is bad, when it heats up it could cause it to lose spark. Does this sound feasible? Please help its driving me crazy.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:59 AM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

Distributor mounted ICM's, form what I understand, are prone to heat issues. That is why later they moved it to the firewall with a heat sink. You can run some tests on it to see if it has a problem. The Haynes book tells you how or there are posts with a link to easy engine diagnostics that can help. Also I would read some posts about the throttle body and the throttle position sensor (TPS) and see if any of that sounds familiar. It may just need a cleaning.
The following users liked this post:
Faircloth0311 (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 04:15 PM

Received 62 Likes on 62 Posts

Most of the time when the icm has problems it shuts down or it works. I would start by pulling code first.

Quick Reply: 89 4.9 Not Running Right. Ignition Control Module?