Topic Sponsor

88 starting problem

Old 06-25-2015, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 starting problem

So I have an 88 f150 with a straight 6 and tons of problems. First my starter went so I replaced it brand new, then the alternator, again replaced it brand new and since a put a new alternator it still won't start. Then on was thinking maybe if my alternator was bad it might have killed my battery, so I put the battery from my wife's car in there and it fired right up. Of course I was thinking that was the answer to my problems so I picked up a used one for 25 bucks and put it on a trickle charge for 24 hours and again it fired up no problem. I drove it around for about a half hour and shut it off and tried to start again and got a loud pop and couldn't get any lights or sound with the key in the on position so I tried to arc the points on the solenoid on the firewall and got nothing so I replaced it and got power back but still same issues with the no start. So I bought a brand new battery thinking the used one wouldn't hold a charge and still won't start after it gets warm. I've checked all the connection for corrosion and cleaned everything nice and made sure it was all tight. I'm not much of a mechanic and even further from knowing anything about electrical stuff. Anything at all would be appreciated. Thank you
Old 06-25-2015, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also it's a 4 speed manual if that means anything. It will push start and I can jump it most of the time it just takes a long time to jump off another car.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:10 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

I would guess that you have a bad connection. Usually a ground.
Old 03-19-2024, 03:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Removed

Last edited by monroe002; 03-19-2024 at 04:00 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 88 starting problem