Topic Sponsor

88 Ford NO-Start, NO-Fuel...help please!

Old 06-26-2016, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 88 Ford NO-Start, NO-Fuel...help please!

OK, this is really wierd and it's driving me CRAZY!! Here's the problem. Truck ran fine. Parked it for about 2 months and when I came back to it, it wouldn't start.
1. Cranks good, has spark, no fuel. Will hit and run on ether.
2. Fuel pump relay and EEC relay check out good.
3. Inertia switch checks out good.
4. When I turn the iginition switch neither the high-pressure rail pump or either of the 2 low-pressure tank pumps energize (truck has duel tanks). The tank pumps are both new with less than 7000 miles. The high-pressure frame rail pump runs when 12 volts is connected.
5. However, when I jumpered the #3 & #4 circuits on the fuel pump relay, both low-pressure pumps will come on in the tanks but the high-pressure pump on the rail doesn't energize.
6. I ran down the ground on the frame at the back end of the truck and cleaned it up and reconnected.
7. When I do #5 above, I get 12 volts at the inertia switch on a volt meter, however, with the relay plugged in, when I crank the engine I only get 6 volts at the enertia switch.

This is driving me CRAZY!! Hoping someone with more knowledge can enlighted me with other possible loose ends to run down.

...did I mention that I HATE electrical problems?...HA!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by One-Eyed Hillbilly; 06-26-2016 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:42 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

It's possible that the 6 volts (or 6.5) is normal for regular running (or when the motor is turning) and 12 volts is for the 2 second koeo prime cycle. I read that somewhere once but can't confirm it.
Sometimes fuel pump problems can be traced to a wiring problem, the toughest one to find that I've seen is the connections on the underside of the relay box.
The one thing about wiring problems is that while they can be very difficult to track down, usually they don't involve a lot of money to repair.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya, hating trying to run down the wire. I think it's a short somewhere between the ECC and the fuel pump relay. I'll keep trying. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 88 Ford NO-Start, NO-Fuel...help please!