Topic Sponsor

4.9 no spark

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.9 no spark

The main bearings in my old motor were bad. The motor started perfect and had lots of spark. I replaced my motor with a 4.9 van motor and now i have no spark. I have followed this

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford_...d_module_1.php

to the best of my ability. I have a good 12 volts before the coil. this website says to connect a test light to the coil and to the POSITIVE terminal where the haynes manual says the negative terminal. i did it both ways. With one end connected to the negative i got a bright light with key on and a strong pulsing light with motor cranking. When i connected the wire to the positive terminal i had a bright light till i turned the key on then it went out. when i turned the motor over the light stayed out? according to the wiring diagram in the haynes manual i also should have 12 volts on my 4th wire on my plug for the ICM and i don't. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-15-2013, 09:47 AM

Anyone have an idea???
Old 09-15-2013, 01:35 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDarkNight
The main bearings in my old motor were bad. The motor started perfect and had lots of spark. I replaced my motor with a 4.9 van motor and now i have no spark. I have followed this

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford_...d_module_1.php

to the best of my ability. I have a good 12 volts before the coil. this website says to connect a test light to the coil and to the POSITIVE terminal where the haynes manual says the negative terminal. i did it both ways. With one end connected to the negative i got a bright light with key on and a strong pulsing light with motor cranking. When i connected the wire to the positive terminal i had a bright light till i turned the key on then it went out. when i turned the motor over the light stayed out? according to the wiring diagram in the haynes manual i also should have 12 volts on my 4th wire on my plug for the ICM and i don't. Anyone have any ideas?
Which step does it tell you to use positive? At the step testing for power to coil it says negative. If you followed all the steps in the link it should have narrowed it down to what you need
Old 09-15-2013, 03:22 PM

3. Connect alligator clip end of the Test Light to the Battery (+) Positive terminal. It is IMPORTANT that it be connected at the Battery Positive Terminal. page 5.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:14 PM

The only reference I see to a pos terminal is when you're testing for the signal from the ICM, either from the wire on the right side of the plug for the coil (left when you're looking at it, right just means passenger side) or the "#2" wire the op labeled in a pic of the ICM wiring on the page he has you test the ICM.

If you did the tests right then you should have it narrowed to either the ICM or PIP.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by TheDarkNight
3. Connect alligator clip end of the Test Light to the Battery (+) Positive terminal. It is IMPORTANT that it be connected at the Battery Positive Terminal. page 5.
Lol. I sent my reply so long ago and it just posted
Old 09-15-2013, 04:16 PM

That step is for the signal, not the voltage. Keep following the steps and you should find the problem.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:27 PM

Did you change the ECM with the motor? If the ECM does not match the engine and trans, It may not work.

Quick Reply: 4.9 no spark