Topic Sponsor

1997 F-150 Lariat Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1997 F-150 Lariat Starting Issue

Hello everyone,
I figured I'd post on here before taking out my alternator and getting it tested, because I have a feeling this is an easy fix:
I replaced the battery and terminal post connections. Re-wired my after market speakers and faceplate. When jumped, it starts and slowly turns off. This makes me think its the alternator. However, different electronics turn on each time I turn on the ignition. Sometimes one window will work, sometimes the other, sometimes neither of them. Voltages across the battery varies with how many electronics are receiving power. With nothing on, the battery reads around 12 volts, but will not start the truck. Will not click or get close to turning over. I hear a relay under the driver side clicking a few times (labeled relay 2) when i open the driver door. I have not got the alternator tested yet, nor have I checked for a short (eliminating fuse by fuse). Those are the only two things I can thing to do, my gut feeling is there is a short somewhere, but not eliminating the alternator possibility. Any suggestions?
Old 06-12-2015, 09:10 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

You will get better answers in the 97-0x forum, 87-96 are a completely different beast.

Quick Reply: 1997 F-150 Lariat Starting Issue