Topic Sponsor

1995 taillight and fuel pump short?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 04:59 PM
f-75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1995 taillight and fuel pump short?

the brake lights were not working on my truck, as soon as i would put in a fuse it would blow before i pushed brake or anything. i tried unplugging the brake light switch and the fuse would still blow as soon as i put it in. like an IDIOT i tried a 30amp fuse in place of the 15 and i heard and smelled something frying behind dash. i then pulled the fuse and put the 15 amp back in and now it doesn't blow, brake lights work fine, but now fuel gauge reads full and pump doesnt come on. i pulled the steering column and the big casted aluminum plate that was hiding all the wires hopeing to physically see something melted but im not that lucky. any ideas on what the problem could be. Also when i was looking at the back of the fuse block i barley move it and i heard something in the dash which sounded like the windshield fluid motor turn on for a second.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:10 PM
f-75

now looking back im thinking ive had electrical issues all along because a few months ago my truck broke down after crossing a horribly bumpy intersection. truck stalled out then when i tried to start it i could not hear the fuel pump turn on but after being pushed home i tried to start it again and the pump was now working but the distributor rotor was fried/melted. i put a new cap and rotor and was good for a while.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:00 PM
f-75

it ended up being the brake pressure/ cruise control cut off switch. there was a huge recall because of fires and mine was close, the plug was all melted from shorting out. anyone who has not had this part changed do it asap. there will be a blue tag on the wires if it has been changed! it was on all 90s light duty trucks.

Quick Reply: 1995 taillight and fuel pump short?