Topic Sponsor

1993 Ignition Lock trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Ignition Lock trouble

I have a 93 F150 thats always had a bit of trouble with the key (and it's not mine, I borrowed it from a friend and now Im stranded in town with it).

The ignition lock has been very bad last year and the truck sat for most of the year. We needed a truck, I went through all his keys and got the lock to turn and the truck started and ran.

Last night I parked in town, made the mistake of removing the key and now it will not turn into the start position, only into the ACC position (backwards). So I cannot remove and replace the lock the 'normal way'. Also - I cannot now get it to turn easily of the ACC position (key is stuck in there).

So, I took the bottom of the steering column off and drilled out the little pin that holds the lock in, figuring if I could just get the lock out I might get it running and get a new lock in there. That went fine, now the lock will come out about 1/8 inch but that's all. Steering is still locked, key is stuck in there and I *cannot* get this lock out and it's getting frustrating, I'm about to break the key off and drill down the middle of it/see what happens.

Thanks for any thoughts on this one.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

I ran out of patience and drilled it out.
*most* of the lock came out, save the bit at the end that must do the actual work of turning the switch and dealing with the steering lock.
(the steering did become unlocked in the process though)
So now I need to figure out how to get the small bit off the back of the lock thats on a small (1/4" or so) shaft out of there (the shaft sheared off)
any thoughts there?
Old 09-17-2012, 04:10 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

For whatever little help it might be ....

Buy the new key lock cylinder and look at how it's made. Figure out how it fits in.

That might give you a clue on how to get that part out of the back.

Quick Reply: 1993 Ignition Lock trouble