Topic Sponsor

1993 f150 351W fuse problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 f150 351W fuse problem

So this is kind of a long story...
it kinda started when I was an idiot and put a reverse pole battery in our truck a couple of years ago. It was only a few moments before I realized what i'd done and put the cable back on the right way. Enough time for the solenoid to fry up.
it died one day and then sat for about a year.
One day I pulled the PCM, opened it up and it was bad and I replaced it. Truck ran like a champ but a little rich for the next 3 months.
then it died going down the road. When I tried to start it again the starter refused to disengage and I had to disconnect the battery.
Starter turned out to be bad, so it got replaced, had the ICM checked, it was bad and got replaced, PCM wouldn't respond, replaced it along with a blown PCM fuse. It ran for about a mile and then the fuse blew again.
my dad and I suspect a loose ground. Any ideas where to start? Any other things that could cause this?
Old 01-24-2017, 02:38 PM

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

PCM installed in it's case incorrectly? Jarred or bumped causing it to short out?

Check alternator output...?

Wiring in to and around the ICM and PCM may have been messed with...?

I would check these and the source for your PCM and how it was determined to be bad?
Old 01-24-2017, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by kd3pc
PCM installed in it's case incorrectly? Jarred or bumped causing it to short out?

Check alternator output...?

Wiring in to and around the ICM and PCM may have been messed with...?

I would check these and the source for your PCM and how it was determined to be bad?
nope. Nope.
alternator is coming off to be tested. Doubtful that it is the cause though, since current is drawn and not pushed by a load.

definitely nope since I put it in. And no one in my family has messed with the computer yet.

it was shown to be bad after opening it up and that capacitor epoxy was all over it. Same thing with the ICM. Easement epoxy was basically jelly.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:27 PM

Default Possibe cause

Radio capacitor located on the coil. Edges are pitted like it's been arcing and only had one strand left.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:59 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Not good, but shouldn't fry pcm's.
As for grounds if you go through my posts from the last couple weeks, I just put up a list somewhere of every ground on the truck. Sorry there's a bunch of posts to go through, I get bored waiting for other things to load on my computer so I just go here and post stuff
Old 01-27-2017, 09:30 PM

Default Thanks!

I think there isn't one single cause of this. To be honest, I don't know for sure that the second pcm was fried. It had the brown discoloration, signature of ruined capacitors. It was a reman, so it could have been from a previous life, but the icm was fried when the starter solinoid jammed, so since it was under warranty, I decided to replace it anyways, free is free in my book. This truck needs a lot of maintenance anyways.

I'll search through the threads because I'm sure that they could use a good cleaning
hopefully this gets resolved before my wife's foot gets healed so she can be driving it again.