Topic Sponsor

1991 F150 - No Electrical Suddenly (no start)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 12:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 1991 F150 - No Electrical Suddenly (no start)

Hello Folks,

My 1991 F150 Flatbed (6cyl) has been my daily work-truck for the last several months.

This morning, however, I went to start it up, and the starter motor didn't even sound like it made a full revolution.. and all the electrical to the truck stopped (seemed to go dead). (even the interior dome light went out)

Thought it may be battery - but voltmeter shows 12.3v, and tried jumping it off with jumper cables - but still no dice.

Starter solenoid has the same 12.3v at the hot side of it... but the curious thing - after I tried starting the truck the first time - the interior dome-light would not even come on.

I completely disconnected the battery for a few minutes to see if something just needed to be reset... (and I tapped on the starter motor with a long screwdriver). After hooking the battery back up, the dome light came back on... but when I turned the key to fire it up - it once again sounded like the starter motor didn't even make a full revolution, and all electrical (i.e. interior dome light) again disappeared.

What is my next diagnostic course of action? Is is possible I have a bad starter motor that is on the fritz? (or may be grounding out?) - (but the battery is still charged...)

I *DID* change out the starter solenoid on the inside passenger side fender a few months ago... I'm just wondering if there's a relay somewhere I need to wiggle or clean the contacts of - or if I need to pursue the starter itself.. or what...

Thank you!! (Ready NOW to have my work truck back on the road) lol

Rex S.
'91 F150 6cyl.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:08 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Sounds very much like a bad connection. Get out the sandpaper and wrenches, get all the connections shiny clean and tight - especially the grounds, everybody ignores them.
The following users liked this post:
Rex Smith (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 01:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nail -> Head... lol.

While you were posting this - I was out at the truck, cleaning the corrosion off of the ground and hot connectors at the battery. (+ connection wired were rusted, and the (-) connectors were grease-coated & a little corrosion to them.)

It fired right up afterwards. Back to work!

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Sounds very much like a bad connection. Get out the sandpaper and wrenches, get all the connections shiny clean and tight - especially the grounds, everybody ignores them.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:26 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Well.... I am a carpenter. lol nails and such.
Seems you have it under control. Thumbs up !!
The following users liked this post:
Rex Smith (04-16-2015)

Quick Reply: 1991 F150 - No Electrical Suddenly (no start)