Topic Sponsor

1990 5.0 rapid click, no start, then zero power to entire vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 5.0 rapid click, no start, then zero power to entire vehicle

Hello everyone. I'm having a problem with my 90 F150. I don't drive it much, but a few weeks ago it started up and ran great, then yesterday I went to start it again and it sounded like a dead battery (rapid clicking then nothing.) Got a new battery today and went to start it, same thing.

The weird thing is, when I try to start it the car will power up normally, dome light works, radio, I can hear the fuel pump too, then when I turn the key to start the truck it will rapidly click a few times then the entire car dies and loses power. No dome light, no parking or headlights, no map lights, radio, nothing. It does this in any key position as well.

Then after a random amount of time I will get power back, dome light, map lights, radio etc. and it starts all over again (try to start same symptoms have to wait till the truck gets power again.) Do these trucks have any safety mechanisms that would cut power to the entire vehicle to protect against an overload or something? I'm pretty car savvy with imports, but this has me at a loss. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nevermind, I fixed it. It was the positive terminal connection that goes to the starter solenoid. Turns out it was completely corroded except for a few arc scars. Interesting symptoms, but it makes sense. I hope this helps someone in the future.

Quick Reply: 1990 5.0 rapid click, no start, then zero power to entire vehicle