Topic Sponsor

1989 f-150 shuts down for a sec when im driving then starts back up again

Old 01-08-2014, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 1989 f-150 shuts down for a sec when im driving then starts back up again

I really need some help on this. Sometimes when i start my truck it will completely shut down for a sec then restart. It does this sometimes when i put the radio on, turn signal or the heat on high while driving. Also will be driving down the road and it will shut down on me and always restart a second later. Yesterday it wouldnt start at all, wouldnt turn over nothing. I moved the wires around alittle bit that are under the steering wheel colum and it started right up. All the gages work until it shuts down on me. Engine is a 302 and its been happening when ive been driving locally. Happens for a couple of days then its fine for like a week. Before it shuts down, it drives no problem.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:07 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Probably time to change the ignition switch on top of the column - not the key portion but the actual electrical switch!
The following users liked this post:
shannonh21 (01-20-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 08:24 PM

We changed it and its still doing it...
Old 01-20-2014, 02:21 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I chased a similar problem for some time on my 91 5.8L. I upgraded complete ignition system (cap, rotors, wires, plugs, coil, ICM). I replaced ignition switch + key and tumbler, changed PIP inside distributor. Replaced Diodes on Engine Computer PCB Board. Disconnected, inspected and re-connected nearly every electrical connector remotely associated with start, and run functions. Removed cleaned and re-installed all grounds. Finally replaced 2nd Ignition Control Module.... Problem Fixed. (Apparently the original one I purchased was BAD!,
(If your interested in details search "toddsss")
I would look towards PIP or ICM.
shannonh21 (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 05:50 PM

Thank you we will def try that! We replaced the ignition switch last night and then today the engined died while i was driving and it took a couple of mins before it would restart(this time I had lights still).
Old 01-20-2014, 10:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 96 5.0 will start up and then just die but then once I crank it again it will start and run strong. I changed the ignition switch and it doesn't do it as much now but It still does some and I've been told it was the throttle body.
shannonh21 (01-21-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 11:11 PM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

Does it turn over and not fire or sit there dead? My truck started shutting down for a sec. and start running again. Progressed to turning over and not starting for a few minutes, to not starting for an hour, to shutting down at cruising speed and not starting for half a day, to not being able to drive two miles without it shutting down. It was the PIP sensor. Replaced whole distributor and have not had that problem in 27K miles and still going. Your ICM can be checked at most chained auto parts stores. They are cheaply built parts that are not reliable. If your truck turns over but doesn't start, I would start there. If it's dead, I would check all the grounds.

Also if your ICM is mounted to your distributor, I heard the heat can really effect it. Mines on the firewall which was Fords solution to the problem.

Last edited by memoniz; 01-20-2014 at 11:21 PM. Reason: added
shannonh21 (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 05:12 PM

Yesterday it just shut off in the middle of the road( was driving for about 5mins) i restarted it no problem and before that it would lose all power and engine would die for a sec and then start up a second later on its own. Its doing it more often but its still so random when it does it. Most of the time it happens after ive been driving for maybe 10-15mins or so

but it will still We will get the icm checked out and the distributor was just replaced in july.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:03 AM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by shannonh21
Yesterday it just shut off in the middle of the road( was driving for about 5mins) i restarted it no problem and before that it would lose all power and engine would die for a sec and then start up a second later on its own. Its doing it more often but its still so random when it does it. Most of the time it happens after ive been driving for maybe 10-15mins or so

but it will still We will get the icm checked out and the distributor was just replaced in july.
The first time I had this problem it was fixed by a mechanic and he told me he replaced the distributor with a used one in order to save me money. That lasted less than a year before that one acted up. If your distributor is not new, you could have the same problem. A new one was $100 at O'reilly's.
shannonh21 (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 09:35 AM

It was brand new in july, we did the work ourselves but i will def try that next thank you. Also the fuel pump and wires were loose so we fix that and now seeing if it happens again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1989 f-150 shuts down for a sec when im driving then starts back up again