Topic Sponsor

1988 F150 crank issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 F150 crank issues

Hey guys. I just recently bought a 1988 f150 with the 5.0 302 engine. I am trying to get it started and am having issues. I have already replaced the starter and starter solenoid on the fender. The battery looks good but hasn't been replaced I tried to hook the truck up to my other car to jump start it and at first the motor cranked alittle and then just started doing a one click each time I turned the key. I am hoping the motor isn't seized up but if it was it wouldn't have cranked that one time right?

If the battery is bad and I hook it up to my other vehicle that shouldn't matter correct because it is taking the power from my other vehicles battery. Correct me if I'm wrong please.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:54 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Go over all of the battery cables, all the way down to the starter. They could be bad even if they look good from the outside. Check voltage to make sure power is making it where it needs to go.

Also try jumping the solenoid on the fender to see if it turns over then. Could help you eliminate issues with the column/ignition switch/actuator rod/etc.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was how I got it to turn over is by touching the two bolts on the solenoid with a screwdriver. But it only cranked a tiny bit. I will go over the cables and check them out.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:04 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_ray_07

If the battery is bad and I hook it up to my other vehicle that shouldn't matter correct because it is taking the power from my other vehicles battery. Correct me if I'm wrong please.
Make sure to jiggle the connections on the booster cables to make sure they are making good contact. Maybe let the donor vehicle run a few minutes after the cables are hooked up before trying to start your f-150. That would be especially true if you don't have heavy gauge booster cables.

That being said I really don't like using booster cables. I would remove your battery and go have it tested.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:45 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

Another thing I should have mentioned. Assuming a dead or low battery is your problem and you are able to get it started using booster cables, the alternator will not charge a battery that is so low on charge that it won't start the vehicle. This will be indicated by the volt meter. This would likely also be hard on the alternator.

Another thing I should point out. If you try to drive the vehicle like this and it runs out of battery power to fire the ignition, the vehicle will quit. Maybe in a very inopportune place. Just thought I would mention that.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:14 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Having a dead battery and trying to jump it can actually pull current from the starter to the battery causing the vehicle to not start. I agree that you should pull the battery and take it to an auto parts store, they will charge it then test it to see if it's holding a charge (most do it for free on the off chance that the battery is shot you will buy one from them). I have also recharged my battery a few times by just driving for 30-60 minutes with nothing electrical on, I do have a 130amp alternator though so that helps, have also done this on my convertible with stock alternator. As long as you have all of the electrical components you can turned off there will be more than enough amperage left over to charge the battery. It may not "fully" charge but it will get back to normal charge after a few drives, just keep the electrical load low and don't use it for short trips (give it enough time to get charged). Pulled my battery out of the truck to test it before winter and was given a green light by oreilly's (90% charge) and like I said I left my lights on all night twice completely draining the battery and it's healthy as can be for a 4 year old battery.

You can verify that the engine is not seized by getting a breaker bar (with the appropriate socket) and turn the engine manually, which is much easier from the bottom unless you have done the E-fan conversion.

Last edited by fltdriver; 12-14-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:19 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Check your grounds.

Quick Reply: 1988 F150 crank issues