Topic Sponsor

Wierd Speaker Grille Color (Rust?)

Old 01-05-2015, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Wierd Speaker Grille Color (Rust?)

Currently looking to buy this truck, but in this picture it looks as if the speaker grille is rusty? Not sure if its just a discolouration, as its not on the actual door panel, just the speaker cover. Truck has 120k miles and looks beautiful, so hopefully not a rust issue.

Been searching the past 30 minutes without finding any info. Help is very much appreciated.

Thanks for any help
Attached Thumbnails Wierd Speaker Grille Color (Rust?)-530231_800600.jpg  
Old 01-06-2015, 01:14 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Looks like rust. Water or just moisture does get inside the door. I wouldn't make that a dealbreaker. Even if you had to get a new door panel, it's not the end of the world.
You might even be able to clean it up and respray it. The door post sticker will have an interior trim code and you can get exact match paint mixed and put in a spray bomb. Maybe cost you $50 and some labour. Or I'm sure lots of guys have door panels kicking around.
You want to be looking at the seam at the bottom of the door more than that spot.
Door bottoms, wheel wells, cab corners, floors, cab mounts and rad saddle mounts box (mounting) rails, corners of the box, especially at the back (look inside). If those are all solid and original the rest of the body is probably pretty good too. If they're rusty, you'll have some work to do.
Keep in mind that floors usually rust from the inside out from wet boots, especially the driver's side, so even tiny pinpricks coming through are a bad sign. I usually look at the seam close to the hinges on the door sill, if there's rust there it's probably migrating out from the floor.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:28 PM
Chief Mystic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a speaker between the grill and the door itself, so if there is moisture there its from the window, the doors hinge side itself, or transfer. Grills are the cheapest metal China has to offer, so bear that in mind too.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:03 AM

Could just be somebody liked driving around in the rain with the vent window open.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:40 AM
Don't Touch the Trim

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Or it could be a flood vehicle. What does the car fax and title say? Have you peeled back the weather stripping and other panels to look for other signs of flood damage or rust? That door handle also looks pretty crusty.

There's too many good used vehicles out there to buy one that's questionable.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by velvet fog
Or it could be a flood vehicle. What does the car fax and title say? Have you peeled back the weather stripping and other panels to look for other signs of flood damage or rust? That door handle also looks pretty crusty.

Bit of an over-reaction to a rusty speaker cover, don't you think ? It is a 20 year old truck. stuff happens.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by velvet fog

Carfax is clean. 2 previous owners and it's a Florida truck. I'd be driving about 7 hours to pick it up. It's the most clean, 120k mile 4x4 extended cab f150 I've seen, and I've been looking the past 4 months.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:06 PM

http://www.mitchsimpson.com/inventory/view/7815437/1994-FORD-F-150-XLT-SUPERCAB-4X4-5.8L-V8-GREAT-MILES-SOUTHERN-TRUCK%21-Cleveland-GA

This is the truck. I feel like $7800 is crazy high
Old 01-10-2015, 08:34 AM

I think you're right. No doubt that it looks pretty clean outside but it doesn't look like it has the kind of upgrades you'd expect on an 8000.00 truck.
More in the 4-5000 range ?
It does look like it hasn't been beat up but I'll bet it'll still need a few repairs as time goes on.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I paid $6200 for mine. It had brand new tires and everything on it worked besides the cruise control and the front gas tank guage. Everything else was solid. 44k miles, no rust besides on the surface of the frame, no leaks, new looking tranny fluid, fresh oil change w no dents to speak of (couple minor dings but that's it). Might want to try offering more around 5k and go from there b/c it will still need minor things here and there

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wierd Speaker Grille Color (Rust?)