Topic Sponsor

What's your method to remove the door pin?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 01:58 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Default What's your method to remove the door pin?

95 F150 here
Got the rattles. Replaced the striker on both sides last year and I thought I was good but I can move the door up and down when it's open and looked at the hinges. Yep, door pin.

I've seen some videos but missing the important part for me. The part of removing the old. Some say they used a drill.

Any methods you guys remove this thing? If I use a drill, I can't even see if I can get a drill inside that hinge area, looks too narrow. But if I can, basically I just drill the rivet off the top? Is that good enough? Just the top rivet right?
Old 01-13-2017, 03:42 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

There seems to be a lot of mention of people using a dremel tool to grind the rivet. I replaced some on some older vehicles(yes, older than you '95) and I know I didn't use a dremel because I didn't have one. They keep building stuff more complicated as time goes on.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by 88xlt
There seems to be a lot of mention of people using a dremel tool to grind the rivet. I replaced some on some older vehicles(yes, older than you '95) and I know I didn't use a dremel because I didn't have one. They keep building stuff more complicated as time goes on.

Ohhh crap!! I actually have a Dremel tool. I didn't even think about it. I think I'll need to get one of those silver heavy duty cut off wheel.

Guess I haven't used it in a long time so I keep forgetting I own a Dremel!

Thanks. Just went to Oreilly Auto for lunch and got 2 pins. I think I only need 1 and keep the other one for later on.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:49 PM

Do you have to beat the pin in or does it just slide in? Cause I'm kinda stuck where the grooves are on that mushroom head. It just won't go in!! I'm trying to hit it with a hammer but I'm afraid of deforming that mushroom top.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:43 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

The grooves are to keep the pin from turning and working loose just like wheel studs. so yes drive it in with a hammer and punch until the head is flush.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by bubbabud
The grooves are to keep the pin from turning and working loose just like wheel studs. so yes drive it in with a hammer and punch until the head is flush.
Got it! gonna keep the hammer in my car and bang it in once a while. I live in an apartment complex and will probably get in trouble with all the banging!
Old 01-14-2017, 09:41 PM
I am prepared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's on my list for next weekend. agreed, my plan is to dremel through the center, lift out top piece (hopefully) remove the old bushings, press in the new bushings and ram down the pin. sound about right? hope so because I sure could use a simple fix right now.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rebel Patriot
That's on my list for next weekend. agreed, my plan is to dremel through the center, lift out top piece (hopefully) remove the old bushings, press in the new bushings and ram down the pin. sound about right? hope so because I sure could use a simple fix right now.
Well, I'm not great but I just use common sense. I used my dremel to cut a LINE through the middle. And then I realize that thing wasn't coming off. So I used the silver cutting wheel and just took off the entire mushroom head.

Used a long pin and hammer and hammered it out. Unbolt the bracket from the door. Bang out the bushings. Steel brush to clean. TAP the new bushings in. Align hinge in but not tighten it all the way. I was by myself so lot of lifting the door and aligning pin but finally got it in.

Then bang the head in for a while. It did not deform. Thought I would deform the head but eventually she went in. NO MORE RATTLES!!!!!! It was really bad. Thing sounded like it was going to fall off!
Old 01-15-2017, 06:25 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Glad you got it done. next time forget the dremel or grinder just drive the pin up from the bottom those teeth under the head are all that hold it in.
The following users liked this post:
ericantonio (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 07:42 AM
I am prepared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bubbabud
Glad you got it done. next time forget the dremel or grinder just drive the pin up from the bottom those teeth under the head are all that hold it in.

I will definitely give that a try first bubbabud.