Topic Sponsor

temp coolant gauge not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default temp coolant gauge not working

my temp gauge isnt working..i check the ECT sensor and it was plugged in. cleaned it off with a damp rag but its still not working...anything else i can look at without bringing it to a mechanic? pictures of what to do would be best

MY TRUCK: 1989 ford f250 5.8L efi
Old 03-15-2014, 06:33 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Assuming the 5.8L has the same setup as the 5.0L - there are two coolant temperature sensors - one for the computer, and one for the gauge.

The computer sensor is larger - a little larger than the diameter of a quarter, has a multiple wire connector, and sits towards the back of the intake manifold.

The gauge sensor is about the diameter of a dime, and sits up by the thermostat housing. It has one wire going to it. IIRC, you can check the gauge operation by grounding the sensor wire - the temp needle should max out.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:11 PM

anyway you could take pictures of yours?
Old 03-15-2014, 07:14 PM

so this thread has 70 views and 1 response? really? no one can answer this question with a picture?
Old 03-15-2014, 07:24 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Where's your picture dude? Show us the sensor you washed off with a wet rag hoping that would fix it.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
Where's your picture dude? Show us the sensor you washed off with a wet rag hoping that would fix it.
cuz i washed the wrong thing im pretty sure... this is a forum website..i am entitled to everyones help here and 70 people have skipped out on their jobs. im sure a sensor picture or a step by step direction would be easy enough to ask for to get my gauge working again
Old 03-15-2014, 08:15 PM

just need my gauge to work guys...any ideas? gotta be on the 5.8 not the 5.0, 7.5, the diesel, or airplanes, or whatever else you can think of...sorry about being rude but this is taking longer than i expected. you guys are the experts. figure it out
Old 03-16-2014, 04:38 AM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by rider56AK

cuz i washed the wrong thing im pretty sure... this is a forum website..i am entitled to everyones help here and 70 people have skipped out on their jobs. im sure a sensor picture or a step by step direction would be easy enough to ask for to get my gauge working again

you guys are the experts. figure it out
You aren't entitled to jack. None of this is our job, people on the forum help each other when you don't sound like a dick. You got an answer, just because it didn't have pics doesn't mean you get to disregard it. How about YOU figure it out.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:28 AM

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

so this thread has 70 views and 1 response? really? no one can answer this question with a picture?
Just so you know, that's going to happen a lot on any forum.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:35 AM

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

just need my gauge to work guys...any ideas? gotta be on the 5.8 not the 5.0, 7.5, the diesel, or airplanes, or whatever else you can think of...sorry about being rude but this is taking longer than i expected. you guys are the experts. figure it out
And no, most of us are not experts. We just dig to figure stuff out and learn from experience, and share our knowledge. All together we may seem like it, but we are just like you, making you just as capable as us to figure it out. If your nice, I might post pics if mine on my cummins, cough I mean accord, I mean 5.8 after church and weather permitting lol. Why don't you want to see it on my airplane? Lol, just chill, working on cars takes a little longer when you don't know what to do.

Quick Reply: temp coolant gauge not working