Topic Sponsor

stock radio wattage

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 10:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default stock radio wattage

Anyone know the power output for the stock radio/tape deck in a 8th gen?

Mine is in good shape still, and I'm enjoying listening to some old tapes on it, but interested in some different speakers to see if the sound would improve a little. I know most modern car speakers can handle well over what I imagine the stock stereo puts out, but also know that underpowered speakers can have issues as well.

Any info appreciated!
Old 04-10-2016, 04:09 PM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

you get a much better increase in sound quality from swapping out the head unit versus changing the speakers...if your speakers are ok. frankly the stock radio unit has poor quality sound and wattage..i wouldnt be surprised if it were 15w x4 channel, where an aftermarket unit is 35w or more..
in my 96, i was actually surprised at how heavy the magnets were in the "premium sound" speakers in my eddie bauer. huge increase in sound quality swapping the head unit out, not so much changing out the speakers. i did anyways, but it did not improve much. i used all pioneer "middle of the road" components..you used to be able to buy replacement tape decks..not sure if they are available anymore.

Last edited by justintendo; 04-10-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by justintendo
you get a much better increase in sound quality from swapping out the head unit versus changing the speakers...if your speakers are ok. frankly the stock radio unit has poor quality sound and wattage..i wouldnt be surprised if it were 15w x4 channel, where an aftermarket unit is 35w or more..
in my 96, i was actually surprised at how heavy the magnets were in the "premium sound" speakers in my eddie bauer. huge increase in sound quality swapping the head unit out, not so much changing out the speakers. i did anyways, but it did not improve much. i used all pioneer "middle of the road" components..you used to be able to buy replacement tape decks..not sure if they are available anymore.
Yeah, I know logically that makes sense, and I've done that in the past with other vehicles. Problem is, that most modern head units aesthetically belong better in a Honda Civic, not a early '90's F-150. I'm not crazy about the look. I want to preserve the older feel of this truck as much as possible and listen to a few cassettes every now and again. My stock HU is still in good shape so the original question was more in hoping there was some decent wattage there, but I would think you're right about it most likely being low.

I found this website that has more classic looking units with higher wattage, wonder if a '79-86 unit would still work in a '90:

http://www.classiccarstereos.com/cat...uck-Radio.html
Old 04-11-2016, 06:42 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

A good set of aftermarket speakers help - no need to go crazy on those. I'm like you, mine has the original A/M F/M cassette. I have 2 CD players on my toolbox that would fit right in but it's not going to happen - I like having the old cassette player in there.
Just got to hit some garage sales this summer and find a few more cassettes I like.
The following users liked this post:
dustyknuckles (04-12-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 10:04 PM

dusty, you can make anything work in there if you have a bit of electrical skill and some mild fab skills as well. you will want to stay away from things that arent DIN...DIN will fit your opening. the older radios have the two shafts running down the sides and will require alot more fab work.
in the link you provided, the USA-4 DIN radios they offer would be a better upgrade in sound and likely fit easily..the stock head units sound really bad, you will be giggling with modern circuitry in the head unit. its not so much about just power, but also a cleaner quality sound as well that will take full use of some stock-size upgrade speakers.
i also really enjoy a cleaner plain look, but i put a higher value on good sound as i really like my music! blaupunkt makes pretty basic looking stuff as well...

Last edited by justintendo; 04-11-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by justintendo
dusty, you can make anything work in there if you have a bit of electrical skill and some mild fab skills as well. you will want to stay away from things that arent DIN...DIN will fit your opening. the older radios have the two shafts running down the sides and will require alot more fab work.
in the link you provided, the USA-4 DIN radios they offer would be a better upgrade in sound and likely fit easily..the stock head units sound really bad, you will be giggling with modern circuitry in the head unit. its not so much about just power, but also a cleaner quality sound as well that will take full use of some stock-size upgrade speakers.
i also really enjoy a cleaner plain look, but i put a higher value on good sound as i really like my music! blaupunkt makes pretty basic looking stuff as well...
Yeah I have always driven vehicles with nicer factory stereo systems, or I've upgraded them myself. I've put two aftermarket HU's in vehicles before so I'm familiar. I'm used to better sound quality, but I also realize I'm in an old truck and listening to the exhaust of a 302 isn't a bad replacement : )

If there was a decent looking DIN HU that still had cassette function I'd be willing to upgrade easily if the faceplate wasn't too gawdy, but seems that's now obsolete, at least on a site like Crutchfield.

Again, mostly just wanted to see if there were any specs on the stock unit out there.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:39 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Stock unit probably puts out 5-10w per channel rms at most. When I installed an aftermarket unit that puts out 18w rms/50w max, it blew two of the OEM speakers within a week.

Nostalgia is nice but having a deck that has a usb port that allows me to load up a flash drive with all of my favorite music will trump nostalgia every time
Old 04-12-2016, 03:11 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Technology is overrated. LOL
Old 04-13-2016, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
Stock unit probably puts out 5-10w per channel rms at most. When I installed an aftermarket unit that puts out 18w rms/50w max, it blew two of the OEM speakers within a week.

Nostalgia is nice but having a deck that has a usb port that allows me to load up a flash drive with all of my favorite music will trump nostalgia every time
i hear ya, i downloaded all my cds onto the pc..along with other downloaded albums. now i have a ton of music on a little mp3 i can plug in my fusion or my f150...no books or boxes of cds and tapes. just a tiny mp3 player i can plug in.
that being said i do not own a smartphone and i listen to vinyl alot too..i just prefer doing my computer work on a pc, i hate browsing on a phone. zero ads is nice too..

Quick Reply: stock radio wattage