Topic Sponsor

Seat covers to reupholster?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat covers to reupholster?

It occurred to me that you could probably take a decent seat cover made for your specific vehicle/option set, and use it as a replacement upholstery with a little extra effort. I've started trying to make replacement upholstery, but the material I've selected has been confirmed as too weak/thin to really handle the job, so I'm back to square 1. Anyone ever thought about, or done this? I came across a pretty good looking cover at carid.com for about $200, so I'm wondering what others think.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:55 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

I'm thinking you could probably find a good set of seats for not much more than that and way less headaches.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:43 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

If you have a bench seat, and you are willing to spend a little more, check out this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/clotheshorse...1&_ipg=&_from=

I bought one and couldn't be happier with it. The guy at the shop told me it would cost more for a custom one that didn't look as good.

They have it for a few different bench styles - not all of them though.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Appreciate the input guys. I should have mentioned that I'm also looking for a custom look as opposed to an OEM replacement.

Any recommendations for a good vinyl solid bench seat cover? I see all kinds of options, and I tend to not buy the cheapest option for fear of realization of the old adage "you get what you pay for". With that in mind, that's what made me think this could be a viable option.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:53 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
If you have a bench seat, and you are willing to spend a little more, check out this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/clotheshorse...1&_ipg=&_from=

I bought one and couldn't be happier with it. The guy at the shop told me it would cost more for a custom one that didn't look as good.

They have it for a few different bench styles - not all of them though.
I had a look at those. They look pretty high quality.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:16 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_1
I had a look at those. They look pretty high quality.
They are legit OEM. Guy must've owned a shop and kept the covers from leather conversions and the like.

Before - stepdad was a smoker

After

For $250 I had a shop install the new cover and rebuild the bottom of the bench - no more of those annoying wires that the foam collapses through. Total cost $650.