Topic Sponsor

seat belt and carseat

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seat belt and carseat

Hi, I am having a baby next week and the carseat can only fit in the passanger seat. My wife is nervous because the seatbelt doesnt retract to be super tight. Also it doesnt stop immediately when it is pulled on hard. Is there a fix for this to put her at ease of mind? I have a 1990 f150 extra cab.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:34 AM

Default A few suggestions..

If you fully extend the seat belt it should go into a lock mode where the only way to loosen it is to retract the belt all the way. This is how you want to use the seatbelt. There are a couple of thing you can do to make the car seat tight. First, you can twist the part of the buckle that is on the seat a few times. This will change the location of where the seat belt buckles and makes it easier to tighten. Next put the car seat in place and get yourself in passenger seat facing the back of the truck. Place your foot on the car seat and wedge yourself in so you provide enough force to compress the seat. Then take the fully extended belt and route it though the car seat per the manual. Use force to crank down on that seat belt to get it tight. It is okay for there to be a light movement in the car seat just not too much. I hope that helps. If you still aren't comfortable with the installation, you might want to contact your local highway patrol. They might be able to take a look at the installation and give you some suggestions. Good luck with everything.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:43 AM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

The part about the state troopers is a good idea. I know in Kansas they have sponsered events on child seats. They basically look at how you have it set up (without the kiddo lol) and tell you if it's good enough or needs to be adjusted somehow.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:43 AM

So I would like to use the locking mechanism. But it doesnt lock when you pull it all of the way out. Can I take the panel off and fix anything that is causing the locking to fault?
Old 03-28-2014, 11:36 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Our seatbelts don't do that. It's an old truck.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:09 PM

So what is your suggestion then?
Old 03-28-2014, 04:31 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Belt them in the same way they did in 1990. With a slightly sloppy belt that still works. Rapid deceleration makes the belt lock, not yanking on it hard and fast.

Quick Reply: seat belt and carseat