Topic Sponsor

Requesting an Explanation!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Requesting an Explanation!

Hello. I recently replaced the ignition key cylinder on my 1992 Ford F150 with an aftermarket cylinder. It worked fine, for one day! Then I could not put the key in the cylinder all the way in. So I could not start my truck. And the pin at the bottom of the cylinder was nowhere to be seen so I could not depress it to get it out. After jiggling the key, spraying graphite spray in the key hole, jiggling some more, lightly twisting and turning the cylinder, inserting a hairpin etc, in the key hole, the key would still not go all the way in.

So..................out of sheer desperation, I retrieved my old keys from inside the house, from the old ignition cylinder, inserted into the key hole and..........voila the key turned, the truck started everything is fine again. I am no locksmith so perhaps there is a perfectly normal explanation to this. If there is, please tell me! How does a key not made for that after market cylinder, turn the cylinder and start the truck????
Old 10-13-2016, 08:31 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by halleva
Hello. I recently replaced the ignition key cylinder on my 1992 Ford F150 with an aftermarket cylinder.
I'd say that sums it up pretty well. Not all aftermarket items are equal.

Quick Reply: Requesting an Explanation!