Topic Sponsor

Replacing 5 speed shift knob

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 06:48 PM
Constant Parts Buyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing 5 speed shift ****

Hey guys, the original 5 speed **** in my 93 XL finally just kinda fell apart all at once, and I ordered a new one from a 2007 5 speed cause I like the feel of it in my friends truck. I was wondering how I install it. I was expecting it to have threads and screw on but when I twisted it it just popped and slid off with a whole lot of nasty yellow gunky stuff in the inside of the **** and on the end of the shifter, do I need a certain kind of adhesive?
Old 09-30-2014, 09:35 AM
93 F-150 XL SB 2.73 5 Spe

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Bunp

Bump bump bump
Old 09-30-2014, 01:53 PM
Formerly "the_breeze"

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Normally they come with a few different inserts to fit different sized shafts, if they don't have any form of installation kit you could always drill a small hole in the side going into the shaft and use a set screw?
Old 11-11-2014, 09:28 AM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I replaced the **** in my 96 F150 with a new original **** and used JB Weld and a rubber mallet to seat it firmly.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:45 AM

Default 5 speed shift ****

I replaced the **** on my 96 with a cool aftermarket green metallic "pool ball" style from a hot rod company. It was designed to screw in but because I am putting it on a ford and they are splined they have an adaptor which is a round washer type thing that adapts to the shifter ball then is set in place with three set screws those set screws were about 3/16" and I was having trouble keeping it tight on the shifter lever because the set screws didn't have enough "bite" to them. I drilled them out re threaded them to a larger size set screw (about a 1/4 inch) and it is now as tight as can be. Maybe you can buy one of these "pool ball" size shift ***** or use this technique to adabt the one your using.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:38 PM

I did this on my truck last year.

I bought an old pool ball off of eBay - number 1. I did not like the spline arrangement on the original. So I cut off the splined end with a grinder, you can also use a dremmel with a cut off wheel or a hack saw. I then took a piece of threaded rod, I believe that 3/8" fits just right. I stuck that into the shifter with some epoxy. Then I drilled a hole in the pool ball, just bigger than a nut. I put two nuts in the ball and set them in there with some epoxy.

It worked great, but because I like to screw and unscrew it when I am driving the rod worked loose. I drilled a small hole into the shifter and through the threaded rod. Then I put a slotted spring tension pin in there and now it won't go anywhere. If you have a welding machine then all the better.

Just take some time to really rough up the outside of the nuts so the epoxy can grab well. I used the dremmel and ground grooves into the sides.

After I did this modification I noticed the truck accelerated faster, cornered better, ran smoother and got better gas mileage.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:05 PM
Constant Parts Buyer

I wound up just smashing it on there with a rubber mallet and a towel and a few months later it's still holding fine
Old 04-01-2015, 07:07 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Most aftermarket shift ***** don't have a hole big enough for the ford shifters, so you might have to bore them out with a drill or grind down the splined part of the stick.

Quick Reply: Replacing 5 speed shift knob