Topic Sponsor

Ignition Lock Cylinder? or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Lock Cylinder? or something else?

I just purchased a 94 F150 XLT Extended Cab on the cheap. I'm doing various little repairs to get it up to speed.

My first repair was to be my ignition lock cylinder. I discovered I could turn my truck on without a key in the ignition. I've had this issue before with previous vehicle and figured I could replace the ignition lock cylinder. I was able to replace it, however, I am still able to turn the cylinder without the key.

Something I didn't notice prior to replacing it, was that the chiming you get when you've left your key in the ignition with the car door open was randomly going off when I thought I had turned the ignition all the way to lock. I'm thinking that the cylinder is fulling turning counter clockwise and locking. Has anyone had this issue? Or does someone have an idea if there is something in the steering column preventing me from turn the cylinder all the way back to lock?
Old 05-29-2016, 10:39 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

I used to have this problem too - the random chiming because the car thought the key was still in the ignition.

There is a little sensor that clips onto the lock cylinder - it gets its power through the clockspring power wiring harness. When I changed my clockspring last year the problem finally went away, but you might be able to get in there and see if the clip came loose.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:08 PM

Would this prevent the lock cylinder from turning all the way back to lock?

Is that something that would require me to remove the steering wheel?
Old 05-29-2016, 12:31 PM

Not sure about the first question.

You should only have to remove the lower cover to get to the clip on the lock cylinder - see this video around the 3:30 mark to see what the clip looks like. He is replacing the entire clock spring.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:17 PM

I guess I should clarify. What I think is happening with the lock cylinder is that its never making the full counter clockwise turn back to where you lock the cylinder and remove the key. I've tested the lock cylinder and it locks when I don't put it in the steering column. Once its installed, it doesn't seem to rotate counter clockwise that last little bit.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:49 PM

Ok Stupid question - are you pushing the little lever down that releases the cylinder so it will return all the way back to allow you to remove the key? I am not sure all the trucks have this it might just be for manual transmissions, but on my truck there is a little lever right behind the cylinder that must be depressed to turn the key all the way back.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:02 PM

Not a stupid question at all, this was actually the issue. Is it normal to have to push that lever every time you want to lock the cylinder?

If that is the case, I'm just a big dummy.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:05 PM

LOL yep you gotta push it every time you want to turn it back to take the key out - I have gotten so used to it by now that when I drive any other car that doesn't have it it feels weird.

Do you have a manual tranny?

And don't worry, we've all been there hehe
Old 05-29-2016, 02:08 PM

Yes, it's a manual. I can't believe I didn't think of that. I figured it was the cylinder lock...

Well, at least I have a new cylinder lock!

Thanks for the help! I'm sure you'll see me posting other things. Hopefully ones that are actual issues!
Old 05-29-2016, 02:09 PM

LOL if it were me I would put the old one back in and see if it still works so you have one key for your doors and ignition.

Quick Reply: Ignition Lock Cylinder? or something else?