Topic Sponsor

Door Adjustment

Old 10-27-2015, 10:35 AM
BHutson15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Adjustment

My drivers door has dropped a little. To be able to shut the door tightly I have to either lift up and shut, or slam shut. Would replacing the door pins fix this issue, or do I need to buy new hinges?
Old 10-28-2015, 11:56 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you replaced the Door pins?

Dorman makes them... They are terrible made quality....but they work....Plan on replacing them once a year... Grease them up good...The brass is very brittle

You will need a Die grinder....Hammer and Punch

To adjust the door just loosen the bolts and align it were you want it...
Old 11-02-2015, 10:19 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Don't forget about the striker bushings, they are plastic (delrin) and go over the striker bolt that the door latch secures to. I've seen a lot of people that assume they need new hinge pins or bushings when in fact the issue is simply the striker bushing, another piece that tends to wear out quickly. Though, if your striker bushing is gone/bad then hinge pins and bushings may be worn, commonly each affects the others longevity. Hinge pins and bushings being bad will wear the striker bushings faster because the latch is hitting it at a weird angle. Also striker bushing being worn or missing will allow the door to rock or rattle when closed, causing wear on the hinge pin bushing.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:38 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Ford still carries the bushings. If your pins and hinge aren't worn, you can just put in new bushings.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:29 PM
Collision Journeyman

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Ford sells pins and bushings . If tho like you said the door drops it might mean you need over sized bushings . I suggest you get both normal and over sized .

I dont know what use the die grinder would be unless you want to make the holes for the bushings bigger . But we in the trade usually dont do that.

A chisel , and punch and a heavy hammer is all you need . I use Air hammers my self , I have all the bits .

After you reattach the door then make your adjustments . You might need a jack to lift the door for adjustment after bolting tight to match the stricker or adjust the striker ..

Ive changed thousands of doors , 150s aint to bad to do .

BTW if you do change them your self , start with the bottom pin or you'll screw your self good .

Last edited by RubberShield; 06-04-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:08 PM

I replaced the striker bushings today. Door closes easier and doesn't rattle anymore. As far as the door alignment, it's not that bad, I think I'll just let that go. Thaks for all the info you guys (and maybe girls). On to the next project, which I don't know what it is yet
Old 10-26-2017, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have also been having trouble with the driver's side door since I purchased this pickup. I bought the upper and lower hinges for the driver's side and after reading this thread, I just ordered the new pins and bushings. As soon as I get them I will take my truck in to have door corrected. Hopefully, I won't need to slam the door each time I close it
Old 11-30-2017, 08:41 PM

I just adjusted my striker about 1/8" and replaced the bushing, and the door shuts like a new truck now. The body line on the door doesn't line up laser straight with the one at the back of the cab, but you can't tell from 3 feet away. No rattles, no wind noise, no slamming.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by larry928
I have also been having trouble with the driver's side door since I purchased this pickup. I bought the upper and lower hinges for the driver's side and after reading this thread, I just ordered the new pins and bushings. As soon as I get them I will take my truck in to have door corrected. Hopefully, I won't need to slam the door each time I close it
I thought I'd share the results of my efforts. My driver's side door is perfect, like new. No rattles, and I don't have to slam it each time I close it. I can now shut it gently. Only needed to replace the upper hinge and replaced the pins.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:07 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

I always replace the hinges because the aftermarket pins are such crap. The caption of this pic & the NEXT dozen explain how to align the door so it closes like new:

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/482890 (for phone apps)

The rest of that photo album contains a lot of other tips & tricks for these doors.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door Adjustment