Topic Sponsor

Cluster lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 11:17 AM
Formerly "the_breeze"

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Cluster lights

How hard is it remove the instrument cluster to replace bulbs for the instrument cluster? I have one or two burnt out or loosely wired. Sometimes if I slap the dash a bit they'll come back on. Check engine light is burnt out but I'm okay with that.

Also I've heard of some people changing the lighting to red instead of green. Is that as simple as changing the light color of the bulbs and removing the green film or is there more to it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Removing the cluster is easy. You just need to pop off the trim and take off the end of the headlight know and take out a couple screws. Just put the shift in 1st (if it's an automatic) and put the steering wheel in the lowest position.

I tried changing the lights to blue and they are only like a blue green and I've been scared to scratch off the green film because if you scratch too hard you can take the black off too. I don't know how red works though you could probably get strong enough LEDs but idk if red would overpower green like the blue does
Old 03-11-2014, 08:50 PM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

its not difficult just need either a hex bit or a thin socket screwdriver. theres twist in style sockets on the back.

as for swapping over to another color You will need to dissasemble the cluster. again not difficult to do i litterally finished swaping over to red leds in my truck today.

your going to need to remove the needles and peel the black plastic cover off carfully and scrape off the green tint off the back side being carful not to scrat it up to much. then glue it back in place with some superglue.

after you done that put in some 194 leds.any color you like. (if you want to do it send me a Pm ill send you the leds to you)

I left most of the spedometer un scrapped just because i thought it looks better with out the numbers
Attached Thumbnails Cluster lights-img_1391.jpg   Cluster lights-img_1393.jpg  
Old 03-11-2014, 08:53 PM
lost my Car again...

Originally Posted by Evan96F150
Removing the cluster is easy. You just need to pop off the trim and take off the end of the headlight know and take out a couple screws. Just put the shift in 1st (if it's an automatic) and put the steering wheel in the lowest position.

I tried changing the lights to blue and they are only like a blue green and I've been scared to scratch off the green film because if you scratch too hard you can take the black off too. I don't know how red works though you could probably get strong enough LEDs but idk if red would overpower green like the blue does
the blacks on the front part of the plastic go for it. honestly its like a stubborn lottery ticket to scratch of the green. just be sure not to scrap off the plastic too.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:53 PM
Formerly "the_breeze"

Thank you guys I might do it. I assume its about the same for the heater control panel too??

How do you get the headlight **** off by the way??
Old 03-11-2014, 10:17 PM
lost my Car again...

yes same deal with the heater controls, and take a thin skrewdriver to the slat and pull back on the metal tab. should slide right off.
I have not done the heater controls yet because im trying to figure away to keep the center blue and red in color.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:32 PM
lost my Car again...

here is a better picture I might have to remove it again to get the needles to illuminate.
Attached Thumbnails Cluster lights-img_1397.jpg  
Old 03-12-2014, 12:50 AM
Formerly "the_breeze"

That looks good. It'd look better with the needles though, can you still have them light up white or would that show through everywhere else? And I agree. I'd like to keep the cool air blue. I would like the red to be the same red as everywhere else so I would take the existing red off. Maybe a separate blue led for the cool area? I'd have to see how the bulbs are set up in the back..
Old 03-12-2014, 08:59 AM
lost my Car again...

yes you can make the numbers and other parts visable i just wanted a minimlistic look. if you scrape off all the green tint it will look just like facotry but red.
as for the heater controls theres two bulbs one side will be blue other will be red. so the defrost vent ect will be red then the low high control will be blue. Im still working on that haha. as for the needles you might need to cut away the green film covering where the light goes through. as for keeping it white no it would be red.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:52 AM
Formerly "the_breeze"

I wasn't sure if there was a separate bulb for each needle because it kinda shows through the hole behind it. Maybe I could put a red tint in place of the green?

Quick Reply: Cluster lights