Topic Sponsor

Anyone ever put speakers under back seat of 95extended cab

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever put speakers under back seat of 95extended cab

I was looking to put some subwoofers under my back seat, nothing crazy just to give I a little kick and still have it hidden so it keeps original look, but every where I look boxes either don't look like they fit or always are different year descriptions. Would you get it custom done? Is it worth the hassle of doing it? Does anyone have any pictures?
Old 11-08-2014, 03:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tboats4642
I was looking to put some subwoofers under my back seat, nothing crazy just to give I a little kick and still have it hidden so it keeps original look, but every where I look boxes either don't look like they fit or always are different year descriptions. Would you get it custom done? Is it worth the hassle of doing it? Does anyone have any pictures?
I only have a regular cab pickup, so I can't give any precise info for the rear seat in an extended cab, but building a custom box is not as hard as it may seem. I built one to fit behind my bench seat in my regular cab with 10" Kicker CVTs (semi-shallow mount), which was pretty space-limited, but I'm sure you could build something and find some nice shallow mounts speakers to fit under the rear seat.

I have heard of people raising their rear seats up a bit, which could make for easier installation, and bigger boom. If I can recall correctly, people have used square tube stock, and longer bolts. I'm sure somebody can give a little more info.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have, but you need to either lift up tbe seat like vette said or i have also heard of guys reverse mounting them into the bottom of the seat or into the the floor. Nobody makes boxes for them. I recently put two shallow 8's in mine. I wanted to put them under the seat also. But there is no feasable way to do it without modification. The humps at the back of the cab take up too much room andthe box would stick out. Its also not enough heigt to give the subs enough box airspace to work, even with shallows.

I ended up building a custom box that wedges perectly right behind the center console. It allows people to sit on both sides and it also lets the console fold up. I never fold my back seat flat so its no biggie to me. The box itself is just big enough to give the 8's room to work. It sounds pretty good. It doesnt shake windows or anyting but it is a good all around system. If i did it again I would just use one . They are Kicker Cvt comp shallows. I mounted a 500 watt amp under the console. Im having trouble posting a pic but i will change my profile pic to the box so you can get an idea. Let me know if want the dimensions.

Last edited by Khill3253; 11-08-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:00 AM
Formerly "the_breeze"

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette117
I only have a regular cab pickup, so I can't give any precise info for the rear seat in an extended cab, but building a custom box is not as hard as it may seem. I built one to fit behind my bench seat in my regular cab with 10" Kicker CVTs (semi-shallow mount), which was pretty space-limited, but I'm sure you could build something and find some nice shallow mounts speakers to fit under the rear seat. I have heard of people raising their rear seats up a bit, which could make for easier installation, and bigger boom. If I can recall correctly, people have used square tube stock, and longer bolts. I'm sure somebody can give a little more info.
Not to hijack your thread, are you able to have your seat back all the way with them back there?
Old 11-09-2014, 10:42 PM

Received 95 Likes on 89 Posts

I put 2 12's under the back seat of my 90. They don't get used very much as I mostly listen to old country but they still make it sound better.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:44 AM

Angry

Originally Posted by Mista_Breeze
Not to hijack your thread, are you able to have your seat back all the way with them back there?
Well, Yes and no. The box that I built originally only allowed me a little bit of seat movement in the front. I couldn't put it all the way back. I took the box apart and cut down the thickness a little bit and it slid back pretty far. I'm not sure if it was all the way back. I'm not very tall, and it didn't bother me to drive all the way forward, and I can't drive with it all the way back, but my dad complained about no leg room, so I had to change it.

Like I said, I had 10" Kicker CVTs. I bought them new, so they had these thin metal backing plates that I could install into the box to make them mount even "shallower" which would let me build the box even smaller. I'm sure if you had the right speaker, like the CVTs, you could build a box small enough to have full travel in the bench seat.

I have since converted to a bucket seat, and sold the box and subwoofers to build a custom center console/sub box, otherwise I would get specific measurements on that box. I have pictures of it though if you are interested.
The following users liked this post:
Mista_Breeze (11-10-2014)
Old 11-10-2014, 08:20 AM
Formerly "the_breeze"

Originally Posted by Vette117
Well, Yes and no. The box that I built originally only allowed me a little bit of seat movement in the front. I couldn't put it all the way back. I took the box apart and cut down the thickness a little bit and it slid back pretty far. I'm not sure if it was all the way back. I'm not very tall, and it didn't bother me to drive all the way forward, and I can't drive with it all the way back, but my dad complained about no leg room, so I had to change it. Like I said, I had 10" Kicker CVTs. I bought them new, so they had these thin metal backing plates that I could install into the box to make them mount even "shallower" which would let me build the box even smaller. I'm sure if you had the right speaker, like the CVTs, you could build a box small enough to have full travel in the bench seat. I have since converted to a bucket seat, and sold the box and subwoofers to build a custom center console/sub box, otherwise I would get specific measurements on that box. I have pictures of it though if you are interested.
Yeah, if you still have pictures! I don't need a lot of boom but being an old pickup the stereo doesn't have much bass behind it. And I'm 6'3 so I need the seat back all the way. Thanks by the way.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mista_Breeze
Yeah, if you still have pictures! I don't need a lot of boom but being an old pickup the stereo doesn't have much bass behind it. And I'm 6'3 so I need the seat back all the way. Thanks by the way.
It's no problem. Took about an hour of searching my old files on my flashdrive for these. Haha. Anyways, these pics are before I shortened the box. As you can see, the amp kept the seat from going back against the box. I ended up mount the amp under the seat, which gave a little travel. It wasn't enough so I took the box out and took the face off, cut the top and sides back a few inches for the rest of the travel. I built my own "grille guard" cover to put over the sub that was mounted as short as possible over the sub faces so the seat wouldn't hit the subwoofers themselves.

**EDIT** - I forgot to mention that those subs in that box had a lot of bass for what they were. I never fully powered them to the RMS rating, but they hit good. I'm sure even just 1 of those subs would make the truck sound good. I'm not a professional when it comes to subwoofer box building, and that was as simple as it gets. No ports, I'm sure it leaked air in some spots, and looked like crap, but it got the job done. I was in the same boat as you guys. Stock wasn't enough, but I don't need competition level, so I got economy level. Haha.

Like I said, I'm not sure if the seat had full travel, but there was plenty more to cut off while still having room with those CVTs. I can guarantee that there is a box that could be built for full travel that will fit a decent subwoofer and amp.

For the OP, and anyone else who is interested, Kicker also offers a small 6.5" driver (10CVT651) that would fit almost anywhere in the truck, like the doors with a little modification, or maybe even under the rear seat in an extended cab for pretty cheap. The model name indicates that it is wired at 1 ohm, which is weird to me, but I have seen good reviews for the speaker. It's not going to be a competition subwoofer, but it definitely adds plenty of bass (a lot of midrange, but good lowrange) for the space and money.

Mista_Breeze, let me know what you come up with! I love car audio, and I like to see what people come up with for these regular cab pickups! Haha.

Last edited by Vette117; 11-10-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Formerly "the_breeze"

That's a good setup I think, and I know next to nothing about car stereos. Do you need an amp to run subs? And have you seen the speaker headliners that LMC offers? I'd never pay $300 for it but I think that would be awesome!
Old 11-10-2014, 09:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, you need an amp to run subs. Crutchfield has how-to's on their website on how to wire everything how to match subs and amps together, build boxes and whatnot. If your just looking for a lttle extra thump, I think kicker makes a powered sub box with a 10 and an amp already built in. I do know rockford fosgate and infinity make powered subs for small spaces. RF makes an 8 and infinty has a 10. They are both pretty compact All you need to do is supply the wiring which crutchfield will send for free.

I was going to go that route but I got a deal on my subs from a buddy who was updating a show car. So i got two 200 dollar subs with next to no time on them for 90 bucks bought an amp on ebay and built my own box.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever put speakers under back seat of 95extended cab