Topic Sponsor

1988 lariat xlt power window

Old 02-10-2017, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1988 lariat xlt power window

I have a 1988 lariat xlt with a problem with the passenger power window. The window goes down with no problem, but will not go up. The motor runs when the switch is pressed but the window will not move. Any ideas as to what may be wrong? It has a new regulator.
Wayne
Old 02-10-2017, 06:36 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

The little gear mechanism that goes on the motor is likely stripped. That part is easily replaceable once you get the motor out. Although you may be ahead to just replace the motor and all.

You have to remove the door panel and use a drill bit to easily get the heads off those light rivets holding the motor on. You also need to block the window up somehow. Replace the rivets with bolts. It's a bit challenging if you never done it before, but not too bad if you are used to repairing stuff. You may want to take it to a shop.
The following users liked this post:
sanway (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 09:56 PM

thanks, I've had the motor out twice. Not a fun job, but doable. The motor works fine in both directions when out. When installed it works to lower the window but will not raise it.
Is there a pinch adjustment that could be out of whack?
Old 02-10-2017, 10:57 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by sanway
The window goes down with no problem, but will not go up. The motor runs when the switch is pressed but the window will not move.
If the motor runs and the window will not move it would seem something is stripped or not making contact. It is strange you get no noise other than the motor running when trying to raise the window.

I don't know what to say but suggest you replace the entire motor with all gears. Or you could just replace the gear part, just a little clip you R&R with a pair of pliers.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:06 AM

Thanks, I guess when the weather improves I'll have to do that. For now, the window is closed and everything is OK as long as I don't lower the window.

Search this Thread