Topic Sponsor

1988 f150 heater

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 f150 heater

I just bought this pickup a while back and the heater heats up the cab good but it just doesn't seem to be blowing air out as hard on the driver side. even with a little frost it takes a long time to defrost. also the door windows will fog up cause there is hardly any air blowing on them. do you think its the cable under the heater restricting the flow or the fan is plugged? also there is a square hole under the glove box by the floor that I can hear the blower but cant tell if it goes some where to the heater vents. im new to these older pickups.
thanks for the help
Old 11-27-2014, 11:38 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

If it blows harder on one side of the truck than the other then you may either have an obstruction in the HVAC tubing or a hole/disconnection somewhere. You can run something like a drain snake through the vents to find any clogs (if the truck ever sat for a length of time the vents may have been turned into luxury housing for some critter) but more than likely you will have to tear into the dash and visually inspect the system.

If it just doesn't blow very hard all over, even on high, then the blower motor may need replaced.

Not sure on the 88 but you have two basic options for that square hole:
A. It's the "floor" vent on that side-air will come out of it when turned to floor
B. It's the intake point when system is used for Max AC or Defrost mode-will be suction

If it blows out the hole regardless of setting (vent, floor, defrost) then I think we have found your problem.
The following users liked this post:
jake_smith777 (11-28-2014)

Quick Reply: 1988 f150 heater