Topic Sponsor

Replacing the bed

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing the bed

My 91 has a long bed dual tank bed. Both tanks work and I would like to keep them. I found a replacement bed at a good price (an old truck being parted out, I can buy the whole thing) but it is a single tank. Is it hard to convert the bed to dual tank? Obviously I would need to add the second gas door and bracing, but is there anything else to be done? Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolldog
My 91 has a long bed dual tank bed. Both tanks work and I would like to keep them. I found a replacement bed at a good price (an old truck being parted out, I can buy the whole thing) but it is a single tank. Is it hard to convert the bed to dual tank? Obviously I would need to add the second gas door and bracing, but is there anything else to be done? Thanks in advance for your input.
I swapped my original single tank bed for a dual tank, and i dont recal there beeing a mounting place for a second tank. doesnt mean you couldnt drill mounitng holes. the challange will be the gas tank door.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:34 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a tool bed type thing (the ones with drawers). Looks like it's been cut a hole and one of these added to it. I've changed my filler neck so I had to punch out the rivets and install nuts and bolts. Can't see why this wouldn't work, but you'll need this angle one:

http://www.fillernecksupply.com/fuel...-42-degree-01/
Old 01-13-2016, 09:30 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Yes it is a problem to change it. Give up on one tank or find a different bed. Better to pay more for the right box than try and do that. I seriously doubt it would ever look (or be) quite right and by the time you get it done, you'll probably be wishing you just shopped around for a dual tank bed in the first place.
IMHO

Quick Reply: Replacing the bed