Topic Sponsor

Replace Factory Antenna with smaller?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Factory Antenna with smaller?

Hi Guys and Girls,

I was wondering if you could replace the factory big *** ugly antenna with a smaller one that would still function just as good or even better.
If you could show me pics of some yours - if you have them!
And also send me a link to some!

Cheers
Epic
Old 11-02-2014, 06:11 AM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm pretty sure any antenna will work as long as you can make the connection (including the coat hanger). Your reception all depends on signal strength and type of antenna. I have the stock one but I think LMC sells the power antenna to fit if you don't like the looks of it.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen tall thin flexible ones that look pretty tough. I've considered one of those just b/c if the factory one hits something it's pretty stiff and I'm worried it will bend the fender before it bent the antennae
Old 11-06-2014, 03:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also Need more info on this topic. I had an Evo before my truck. The cars stock antenna was about 15inches worked perfect, bought an eBay one that was 4" and I have to say it sucked bad. Just like OP said I also need one that's same quality or better than stock for me to replace that huge antenna.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:50 PM
Formerly "the_breeze"

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by choate
I've seen tall thin flexible ones that look pretty tough. I've considered one of those just b/c if the factory one hits something it's pretty stiff and I'm worried it will bend the fender before it bent the antennae
Thy may be rigid but trust me, the fender is stronger lol I caught mine on a tree limb once, bent it back to a 90 degree angle, fender was fine. It was bent so low I had to straighten it out before I could even unscrew it to replace it.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Dang! That makes me feel better then. Mine bangs the parking garage entrance and every other pillar. The first time it did that it scared the crap out of me. I just started taking it real easy after that
Old 11-07-2014, 08:33 PM
Formerly "the_breeze"

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by choate
Dang! That makes me feel better then. Mine bangs the parking garage entrance and every other pillar. The first time it did that it scared the crap out of me. I just started taking it real easy after that
It might dent the a pillar of it gets bent and slams back into it? But it'll hold up just fine, I need shorter CB antennas, I bang them off of EVERYTHING all of the time. I should just take them off and get rid of the cb. Haven't used since I did repossessions years ago. But everytime I take them off its like my truck got a haircut.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:51 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

I replaced the one on my convertible because it seemed out of place with the top down. I just got a cheap short one off of ebay and wired in an invisible signal booster, basically it's a powered interior antenna. Mounts in the dash or behind rear-view or where ever you want to put it. I get more stations and they seem to come in better in that car than anything else I own.
The following users liked this post:
Wakko_SVT (11-10-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 01:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EPIC F150
Hi Guys and Girls, I was wondering if you could replace the factory big *** ugly antenna with a smaller one that would still function just as good or even better. If you could show me pics of some yours - if you have them! And also send me a link to some! Cheers Epic
Name:  6F29D48C-4FD8-4BAE-AA11-215405B20EFB.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  31.8 KB
I got this one. Love it so far. No frequency loose. Then again I live In the city so I don't know. But love the slick look.
I got it at www.cravenspeed.com.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Do NOT listen to radio...installing this. Gave to wife for action...

Name:  51KcCBbySGL__SX522_.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  14.3 KB

Quick Reply: Replace Factory Antenna with smaller?