Topic Sponsor

Fog light install

Old 06-05-2014, 12:16 PM

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Fog light install

Don't laugh, but when it comes to me and wiring I'm pretty low down on skill level. I want to make sure I get this right. I preferred some fog lights for an 05 f250 to go in the holes of my bumper, like a saw on another forum. So, I can ground both fog lights as close to a spot I deem good to ground, that's no problem. But do I take both power wires, splice them together, run it to a relay? And which prong do I put it on on the relay? The. The relay will have power from the battery, and a wire coming to and from the switch and the cab? But I guess I'm mostly confused on which prongs of the relay I should put the wires. And of course a fuse on the wire from the battery, as close to the battery as possible. I think, but I can't seem to confirm, that the fog lights are 45 amps each. Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:17 PM

Preferred should be ordered, don't know what happened there lol.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:18 PM

And I guess I should've put this in electrical.....
Old 06-05-2014, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are running them to a switch in the cab, you won't need a relay. If your switch has 3 prongs (usually labeled) then you will ground the fogs, and ground the switch. After that, one power wire from the battery to the switch (this gets the fuse), and the other to the lights. I have never put a set of lights in with a relay before, so sorry if this is of no help.

If you are trying to keep them on with low beams, and off with high beams then here's a general diagram and how to:
http://www.accessconnect.com/fog_dri...hts_wiring.htm
Old 06-05-2014, 05:50 PM

I'm just wanting control with a switch. So just get a switch that can handle th current and I'm good to go?
Old 06-05-2014, 08:59 PM

Do you already have the switch? If not, then you can pick up a switch and fog driving light wiring kit pretty cheap from your local parts store.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:26 PM

No, the only thing I have bought is the actual fog lights. Ill look into that though, although I kinda want a lighted toggle switch.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:09 PM

Just get the kit and whatever switch you want and keep the one in the kit to the side. All you need to do is make sure the ground is on the correct pin of the switch, and then just plug the two positive wires on to the + pins and switch the wires around (only positive) until you get the fogs/ switch lights how you want them.

Accessory is going to be the fog lights. The switch gets grounded to the battery, and the fog lights get grounded to the bumper/frame (make sure you have a clean hole for your grounding wire to be screwed on.

What part of AL are you from?
Old 06-06-2014, 01:52 PM

Received 62 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jqsiren
If you are running them to a switch in the cab, you won't need a relay. If your switch has 3 prongs (usually labeled) then you will ground the fogs, and ground the switch. After that, one power wire from the battery to the switch (this gets the fuse), and the other to the lights. I have never put a set of lights in with a relay before, so sorry if this is of no help.

If you are trying to keep them on with low beams, and off with high beams then here's a general diagram and how to:
http://www.accessconnect.com/fog_dri...hts_wiring.htm
Go to autozone and get the wiring kit. It is cheaper then making it your self and faster.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by jqsiren
Just get the kit and whatever switch you want and keep the one in the kit to the side. All you need to do is make sure the ground is on the correct pin of the switch, and then just plug the two positive wires on to the + pins and switch the wires around (only positive) until you get the fogs/ switch lights how you want them.

Accessory is going to be the fog lights. The switch gets grounded to the battery, and the fog lights get grounded to the bumper/frame (make sure you have a clean hole for your grounding wire to be screwed on.

What part of AL are you from?
I got them going, need to tidy up tomorrow though. I saw the wiring kit at orriellys, but it didn't seem to have enough wire and it looked to be 16 gauge wire, and I wanted 14. So I just wired it all up, and yea it costed a bit more but now I have extra to add to my collection of crap, I probably already had all I needed, just didn't want to find it haha. I am north of montgomery, close to prattville if you know where that is. Most people in al do because we have a bass pro shop lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fog light install