Topic Sponsor

Can you just put HID headlight bulbs in stock headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you just put HID headlight bulbs in stock headlights?

I have a 1994 F150 that I want to change the head light bulbs to give them that blue look. Is there a certain bulb I can just pop in to do this?
Old 10-27-2014, 09:10 PM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

Sure can. You have to mount the ballasts somewhere behind the headlight housings, but I have to stress how illegal it is and how dangerous it is to all other drivers on the road. I don't care how others opinions differ from what the law says, but it is dangerous and it is illegal! Factory headlight housings are not intended for HID light distribution and they scatter light blinding oncoming drivers. 10 people will follow me and say that they know for a fact that HID's don't blind cars that they are not driving or that they haven't had any complaints. I'd love to spin my ambulance around and beat the hell out of some of the idiots that blind us rounding corners, but unfortunately, we don't have the opportunity to jump out and let other drivers know what fools they are! Just my VERY HONEST OPINION. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any other options. I'll keep them the same ones if it risks someone wrecking.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Projector headlights. They help focus the beam and not blind oncoming traffic. Im with unit on this one. I have had a couple friends slap hids in their stock housings and you really have to aim them right at the ground if you dont want to blind anybody Its awful. Plus without the beam focused you get really poor distance on them. Done right they are pretty sweet and they also can help cut down on eye fatigue if you do alot of night driving. If your lucky you can find a set of headlights, ballasts, bulbs, and a conversion harness on ebay for around 400 bones. If you have to buy everything seperate dont skimp out on the ballasts as my friends seem to be replacing cheaper ones about every few months.

Last edited by Khill3253; 10-28-2014 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Khill3253
Projector headlights. They help focus the beam and not blind oncoming traffic. Im with unit on this one. I have had a couple friends slap hids in their stock housings and you really have to aim them right at the ground if you dont want to blind anybody Its awful. Plus without the beam focused you get really poor distance on them. Done right they are pretty sweet and they also can help cut down on eye fatigue if you do alot of night driving. If your lucky you can find a set of headlights, ballasts, bulbs, and a conversion harness on ebay for around 400 bones. If you have to buy everything seperate dont skimp out on the ballasts as my friends seem to be replacing cheaper ones about every few months.
The ones that I see are always less than 300 bucks. Do as much research as you can before you buy anything. Read all reviews, compare prices, check quality ratings, etc. Ebay Has some Projector housings that are actually really cool, and are only around 200 bucks.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Meh, I was a little out there I didn't feel like bootin' up the old ebay. I have spending problem when it comes to that website. Extreme Hid's seem to be the best from what I read. I do stress- you buy cheap stuff, you get cheap stuff, you replace cheap stuff all the time. Spend a little more and get good components.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Khill3253
Meh, I was a little out there I didn't feel like bootin' up the old ebay. I have spending problem when it comes to that website. Extreme Hid's seem to be the best from what I read. I do stress- you buy cheap stuff, you get cheap stuff, you replace cheap stuff all the time. Spend a little more and get good components.
I'm sure those projector housings were probably around your original price at some point, but I have been putting a lot of research into them over the past couple of weeks because I need to replace mine. I also agree that you should buy quality equipment. No point in buying crap stuff that will need replaced anyways and costing more in the long run.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:25 PM
Maybe to many trucks?

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Projector headlights do terrible with the stock housing because of the diamond cut it throws it everywhere. It is better to get clear headlights then a projector.
Trav
Old 10-30-2014, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 548 Likes on 427 Posts

You want HID's? Simple 2 step process.

1. Get clear lens headlights.
2. Retrofit them.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:16 AM

Received 473 Likes on 426 Posts

^The only way to do it. The headlights with "projectors" already in them are garbage don't waste your money.

Quick Reply: Can you just put HID headlight bulbs in stock headlights?