Topic Sponsor

Body Swapping

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 12:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Body Swapping

Hello,

I'm in the early stages of planning project for my 88 F-150 Custom. Basically every body panel on my 88 is damaged in some sort, some rust/dents etc. So I found an 89 F-150 donor truck with a pretty decent body.

So my question is, mainly around the cab. I had an auto body guy that does restorations looking at it last night and he thought it might be easier to actually swap the cabs rather then repairing the current one (rust cab corners, needs doors, rusted floor pans and has a large dent on the top). Does anyone have any experience in how that would actually work? A couple things to note is that the donor truck is an automatic 2WD and the truck I'm fixing is a manual 4WD.

You may be asking why I'm fixing the truck with the bad body as my donor truck is in much better shape, but the 88 has been in the family since new as my Grandpa's farm truck. Now that he is gone, I have the truck and want to fix up the truck I remember as a kid.

Here are some pics:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...HM&usp=sharing
Old 04-05-2014, 01:05 PM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Considering you will have to remove the dash steering column wiring blower motor heater core glass interior trim and so on... if your cab is rusted out as in floors gone all body mounts are toast and so on. fix the current cab its much easier to keep it.

HOWEVER! if you alredy have it stripped out clean because of your build or plan to. Swap the cab out for sure.
as far as the 2wd and auto stuff. you will need to take the panel off the autos floor and keep the panel to cover the 4wd shifter hole. your going to have a bunch of work ahead thats for sure.

Quick Reply: Body Swapping