Topic Sponsor

Bed Removal, Tank replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Bed Removal, Tank replacement

Hey guys, ive got my 1996 f150 still, shes pushing 196xxx miles now on the 5.0 with the 5 speed, anyways, i decided that its time to pull the bed off. One reason i want to take the bed off, is because not one, but both, tanks are leaking fuel. so the beds going to come off so i can do both tanks and replace them, and after that im going to POR15 the frame, remove the old tow hitch reciever (its a 2wd and i never tow anything anyway and im going for a clean look), and replace the rear cross member that is rotted out. What is the easiest way you guys have found to remove the bed? i have seen grinding the heads of the bolts off, welding bolts to them, tons of crap. so whats the easiest way!?

Thanks in advance,
Zac
Old 02-26-2013, 12:40 AM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I cut mine off with plasma cutter. If you do that just becarful to not cut into the bed. Id say cut it down some with it then use the grinder to finish.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:49 AM

i don't have a plasma cutter. maybe some day i will advance, but for now ive got grinders and such to take care of the job
Old 03-06-2013, 10:02 AM

So does anyone else know anything about removing the bed?
Old 03-06-2013, 10:10 AM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Most likely you will have to cut the bolt heads with a grinder, its rare they come loose with just a socket underneath. Disconnect the lights, take off the tailgate, unhook the filler necks and get 3 other people at each corner to lift.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW, your gas leaks may be just the seal around the pump/sending unit. You can drop the tanks (when empty of course) and replace the seals far easier than removing the bed.
I know that doesn't accomplish your other tasks under there, but I just thought I'd toss it out anyway.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by scottnbarbi
BTW, your gas leaks may be just the seal around the pump/sending unit. You can drop the tanks (when empty of course) and replace the seals far easier than removing the bed.
I know that doesn't accomplish your other tasks under there, but I just thought I'd toss it out anyway.
I would do that but the front leaks out of the bottom. The strap rusted thru it.

Trending Topics

Old 03-12-2013, 10:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Weld a nut to the head of the bolt then have a buddy hold it with a wrench.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be doing this next month. I also have 2 leaky tanks and will be cleaning and painting the frame while in there. I may have jumped the gun buying tanks before checking that the seals aren't the leaky part but it can't hurt to have new tanks, got both for 130 bucks. Fairly sure at least the first one is bad because it leaks at the front of the tank.

You can replace the tanks from underneath BTW, but I am going your route to pull since I need to get it off to paint the truck when the body work is done anyway.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Boombots
I'll be doing this next month. I also have 2 leaky tanks and will be cleaning and painting the frame while in there. I may have jumped the gun buying tanks before checking that the seals aren't the leaky part but it can't hurt to have new tanks, got both for 130 bucks. Fairly sure at least the first one is bad because it leaks at the front of the tank.

You can replace the tanks from underneath BTW, but I am going your route to pull since I need to get it off to paint the truck when the body work is done anyway.
Yea I'm damn near positive that my front is rusted from the strap, but I haven't really looked into it on account of the snow and cold and wet ground lately here in MA. Today it's nice out I might check under there today. When you do it let me know how you did with removing the bolts or the bed tho!!

Quick Reply: Bed Removal, Tank replacement