Topic Sponsor

Bed removal question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 09:39 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Bed removal question

I have a 94 F150 long bed and I'm there a 2 rubber bushings that go between the frame and the bed. Can someone take a look at their truck and tell me the location of these 2 bushings? 1 is thicker than the other. I had a body ship remove the bed and they must not have paid attention and put them back in the wrong place.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:45 PM

I was hoping that someone could take a look under the bed to see if there are any rubber bushings between the bed and the frame. The body shop that removed the bed put 2 bushings in between the bed and the frame rail on the drivers side behind the rear axle. They say that's where the bushings were located when they pulled the bed. Problem is the rear of the bed is tilted about and inch higher on the drivers side.

I'm thinking that there should be no bushings at all, but I don't have another truck to take a look at.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2015, 10:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by forrest411
I was hoping that someone could take a look under the bed to see if there are any rubber bushings between the bed and the frame. The body shop that removed the bed put 2 bushings in between the bed and the frame rail on the drivers side behind the rear axle. They say that's where the bushings were located when they pulled the bed. Problem is the rear of the bed is tilted about and inch higher on the drivers side.

I'm thinking that there should be no bushings at all, but I don't have another truck to take a look at.

Thanks
Did you get this answered? It looks like it was a couple weeks ago. Anyway, I'll be looking at mine later strategizing a project and I can look for you.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:21 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

There are no bushings between the bed crossers and the frame where the bolts are. There are very thin rubber "washers" between the crossers and the frame in the spots where bolts aren't - probably to stop squeaks.
Some one may have added something in to make the bed sit more level but it didn't come that way from the factory.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:59 AM

Yes, after further inspection I noticed that the bed was higher on the left side than the right. Exactly the thickness of the bushings they put in there. So I took it back to the body shop and told them to remove them. The guy there said that the bushings were there when they pulled the bed. So I showed him a pic I had before I took it to them that showed the bed being perfectly level and he didn't know what to say so they took them out and now it looks like it did before.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:50 AM

Also, they messed up a couple of the factory bolts taking it back out. Don't ask me how! So they had to go to Ford to get a new set of bed bolts at their expense. These are the new style bed bolts that use a T55 torx bolt with a captured nut on a frame clip that slides onto the frame.

If anyone uses the new style bolts on our style trucks you will have to put washers/shims in between the bed and the frame only on the supports that do not have bolts threw them because the captured nut raises the bed enough to leave a gap in between those supports and the frame. This gap will cause the bed to flex making a creaking noise. I know this because the body shop didn't do it and it creaked like crazy on my way home. I loosend the bolts and slid stainless fender washers in as shims and no more creaking noise.

HOPEFULLY I won't need any more body work. If so I have to find a new place to go too.

Quick Reply: Bed removal question