Topic Sponsor

Vacuum line questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 08:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Vacuum line questions

Last week I replaced/repaired vacuum lines on my 1994 F150. I used the following diagram on my hood. The lines near the fire wall were brittle and I used rubber vacuum hoses for repairs. It all runs great and no Check Engine Light issues. Now, I have a question about some items on the diagram. What exactly is the Air A/Air D? It looks like it controls the Eng and CAT Converter? I think the FPRC controls Fuel rail. I was wondering if the Air A/Air D control lines would create Engine Codes if those lines were leaking or broken? Or would broken lines just make the vehicle operate poorly without giving codes? Would tuning the engine with plugs, wires, rotor cap, etc. overcome any broken lines in the Air A/Air B lines? My F150 really operates smoothly and like a dream after replacing/repairing the lines, BUT, I never did get codes to indicate otherwise. Just curious.
Attached Thumbnails Vacuum line questions-1994-f150-vacuum_.jpg  
Old 02-14-2017, 09:42 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

I'm going to just guess at that and say they're probably the 2 vacuum operated valves that divert fresh air from the air pump either through the heads or down to the cats. Mounted on the crossover pipe at the back of the heads on a v8. Wouldn't necessarily throw a code but could; a vac leak there would cause idling / running issues when those vacuum lines were in use but not when the main vac solenoids to them were closed.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:28 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks! I did a quick search on those terms and found a few threads. I just never gave this a thought or bothered to check into this over the years. Appreciate it!
Old 02-15-2017, 08:53 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

That whole fresh air system is called the thermactor system.