Topic Sponsor

Truck runs and then will not start.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck runs and then will not start.

Hi all, I have a 94 F150 XL 4.9L 5 speed. I bought this truck last summer and drove it for about 3 months. One day on the way to work it just shut off and I tried to restart it and it started and died right away. Checked it out and could not get fuel pump to come on so I replaced it (rear pump). Replaced the fuel filter and the relay switch. It took a week of cranking and checking things and finally it roared to life. I drove it about 3 weeks with no problems and just like before it just would crank but not start. Sometimes I would let it sit and it would start and I could drive it but when I shut it off it would not start. Its was like playing Russian roulette, you never knew when it would let you sit. I had a mechanic friend of mine told me to change the ignition switch because sometimes when you turned the key on you could hear the pump start up and other times you could not hear the pump. Any one have any ideas on how to diagnosis this problem. The truck is currently not starting at all after I replaced the ignition switch.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:20 PM

Received 62 Likes on 62 Posts

Sounds like a coil,pip or ignition module. You should pull codes.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:57 PM

Do you have a link on Pulling codes from 94 Ford F150?
Old 01-20-2014, 06:51 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by kiddsa
Do you have a link on Pulling codes from 94 Ford F150?
There's a sticky in this forum. I'd link it but I don't know how on the app.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:56 PM

had a similar problem with my '89. Turned out to be the solid state relay for the fuel pump failing when it got hot
Old 01-26-2014, 11:52 PM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

My bet would be on the pip sensor.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:11 AM

I had replaced the fuel pump relay, before I replaced the fuel pump. I had trouble with the code method due to the fact that my check engine light was out. I found that Autozone had a cheap code reader for 30.00. Will update with my findings.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:03 AM
Jim K

I am having a similar problem with my 94 f150 5.0L 302 where i was driving it daily and then the next day i went to go start it and it just cranks and cranks and sometimes it will almost start. my buddy said that the fuel lines might have gotten water in them and froze since its cold over in CT. So i am waiting for warm weather. I dont hear the fuel pump when i turn the key so it could also be a relay because the fuse i checked was fine. She's been sittin out in the cold for about a month now. I also have dual tanks if that helps with the diagnoses. Thanks in advance for any advice
Old 02-10-2014, 11:27 AM

Sounds like your having the same problem I am. I hooked up the code reader and the light comes on when its pluged into the reader. But when I turn the ingition on the light on the code reader goes off. I replaced the Ignition control module to see if that helped. Still cranking and not starting. Any one have any suggestions? It has been really cold out lately so I have not messed with it. The weather is suposed to warm up this weekend and hope to be back at it.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:05 PM

I am thinking of replacing the ECM, mainly because I cannot retrieve any codes from it. I have been reading through other threads and I think the computer my have been fried. I am looking into replacing it. Is there a way to check and see if the computer is the original one?

Quick Reply: Truck runs and then will not start.