Topic Sponsor

Transmission drain plug

Old 11-27-2015, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission drain plug

Hey all so I drained my transmission pulled the drain plug and there were sludge on it and larger size metal shavings on it. Is this a sign of transmission going to go out soon? I didn't have any issues before with it. What's going on you think?
Old 11-27-2015, 09:46 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Purple Thunder
Hey all so I drained my transmission pulled the drain plug and there were sludge on it and larger size metal shavings on it. Is this a sign of transmission going to go out soon? I didn't have any issues before with it. What's going on you think?
I don't think I'd be too concerned with what you found in the transmission right now.

I read your other post about your slipping. The slipping is likely with the clutch. My first guess would be one of those little coil springs in the clutch disc popped out of place. If this was my truck I would remove the transmission and inspect the clutch disc, pressure plate and related parts.
The following users liked this post:
Purple Thunder (11-27-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well working on the transmission now of course ran into issues getting it out. Almost have it now. So I'm anxious to get the new parts in. I want to eventually restore it but I'm not sure if there is much wrong with the transmission right now. But the guy who was helping me today was concerned about the larger metal shavings on the drain plug.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:43 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

You will get metal shavings inside a tranny or diff. Larger isn't good. If it works, for now just use it. You can then shop around for a good used one and install it as is or rebuild it yourself first. It's not that hard if you get a good book on how to do it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission drain plug