Topic Sponsor

Transfer case crack at drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 07:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face Transfer case crack at drain plug

I rebuilt my transfer case last week, as it only worked in 4wd low. Caked in dirt & oil, I assumed the seals had been leaking....

Come to find out, there's a 1 inch crack at the drain plug, on the casing. Pretty common, I'm a little bummed I didn't see it during the tear-down. Has anyone had luck welding these with a spool gun? I have it cleaned up, will clean it more just before welding, & will drill a hole at the end of the crack too. Also have some similar aluminum to practice on, before I do the T-case housing....
Old 03-19-2015, 09:00 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Epoxy ? They make some pretty strong stuff nowadays. If the welding doesn't look like it'll go good. I think I might grind a bit of a "V" to get some real good penetration either way.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:29 PM

So, NEWSFLASH: Transfer case is made of MAGNESIUM!! I'm thankful I didn't blow my face up.... could've gone bad!

I found a local welding shop that was able to TIG it for $53, did a great job, pressure tested it, and was very proud of their work. That's all going in tomorrow too, along with new rubber. I should finally be able to take it through a car wash, and out on the highway! Kind of excited....

On a downer topic though, I've crested $2100 for purchase & expenses, as well as (tomorrow) I'll be crossing $3000 in labor (if I were charging myself for my work). The truck's drivetrain will be pretty bullet proof though!
Old 03-21-2015, 10:15 PM

UPDATE: Transfer case weld is not leaking!

Front diff & all driveshafts removed, respective areas cleaned & preserved for re-install at a later date.

Wheel bearings inspected, re-packed, & reinstalled.

New tires mounted/balanced.

MAIDEN VOYAGE!!! Drove around 20 miles, & the worst thing I have to say, is the steering has a little too much play in it! Drove smooth, great power, & the cruise control even works!!!

Quick Reply: Transfer case crack at drain plug