Topic Sponsor

trans leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 04:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default trans leak

I've posted about this before in another thread but it was a thread for a separate issue. My trans has a pretty bad leak I replace the output shaft seal and its still leaking. I believe its coming from the output shaft housing? I don't know if this is the correct name or what but I've cleaned the trans and that appears to be the only place its leaking from. If my sig doesn't show up its a 1996 F150 4.9L 5 speed reg cab long bed 2wd. If anyone could tell me if i need to drop the trans to replace this seal and what the part number is that would be great. it doesn't look like the trans will have to come out... Already pulled it once to replace the slave cylinder...
Old 06-10-2015, 05:19 PM

I've been searching all over online and can't find the part.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:55 AM
Cor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not sure this is the part your talking about, but is it the 'extension housing seal'? If so, there is a guide on autozone about how to replace it. You'll need log in (or create an account) and set up your vehicle (its all free, and I've found it to be really good info). Once you have your truck (year, model, engine, etc) set up go to:

HOME / REPAIR HELP / 1996 FORD TRUCK F150 1/2 TON P/U 2WD 5.0L EFI 8CYL REPAIR GUIDE / DRIVE TRAIN / MANUAL TRANSMISSION / EXTENSION HOUSING SEAL

I accidentally put your truck in as a V8 instead of a straight 6, but I think it would be them same procedure.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-12-2015, 08:01 PM

Nobody has the seal for the standard trans. Only the auto so looks like I'll be calling a dealer
Old 06-14-2015, 11:11 AM
Cor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked rockauto? They usually have all sorts of parts. Also, I didn't check, is the auto seal different from the manual?
Old 06-14-2015, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cor
Have you checked rockauto? They usually have all sorts of parts. Also, I didn't check, is the auto seal different from the manual?
I've checked rockauto I use them a lot. Went to fordparts. com and they don't list a seal for the 2wd version and the part numbers are the same for the 4x4 standard trans and auto trans. I believe my output shaft seal is the wrong one now. It looks like the auto seals but haven't measured the auto seal and the standard trans one to compare. I'm starting to be pressed for time to get this fixed because I gotta tow a friends car and can't have my trans leaking fluid like crazy. Need to fix it before next weekend. Just gonna order the two parts from ford and hope they are right. I'll measure the old seal (outputshaft) and compare to the dimensions they have for the auto seal. I don't understand why the part my truck is "supposed" to have is not the same as the one listed on the parts sites...
Old 06-16-2015, 04:25 PM

Well.... Ford doesn't make that seal anymore.. great
Old 06-16-2015, 08:51 PM

Ok I think i've found the correct one... Napa had it listed under a different trans the ZF. the measurements exactly match my original part so i've ordered it and will know tomorrow if it is correct. (rear trans seal) But this part is pricey $35. http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...900_0073831261
Old 06-17-2015, 10:02 PM

Ok I replaced it and now I still have a major leak. Ford said they never made a gasket for the extension housing they used a type of rtv. I've read on here about rubber plugs or something that dry rot but haven't seen them?
Old 06-17-2015, 10:10 PM

Only leaks when running

Quick Reply: trans leak