Topic Sponsor

Towing and what I should do before.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Towing and what I should do before.

I have a 95 f150 xlt 4x4 5.0 with auto/od transmission. Single cab long bed. Truck has 67k original miles(I've had it 3 years since 33k). Zero issues, I fixed pan gasket leak, just because I put new plugs, msd dist cap, new wires, new shocks and just put on 4 new Michelin tires and 130 amp alternator. Truck has u haul hitch with plug in. I have no idea if it works, I've never towed. But I want to by a ultra lite trailer, under 5,000 pounds fully loaded(ones I want are 3200-4200 dry weight). I've never towed, so not sure what I need. Brakes are original since 95, but have a lot of pad left, I do 80% freeway driving, so truck hadn't had any abuse, runs like new. Probably one of the nicest 1995 trucks in existance(things i replaced were just preventitive maint, didnt need anything, other than what i listed, everything is factory original right down to the exhaust, #1 Do I need to do brakes since they have 67k miles on them or am I ok since they have good pad life still, #2 do these trucks have a tranny cooler good enough for this type towing, #3 should I add a steering stabilizer or its not needed? Thanks for any info, I plan on buying trailer next week.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:39 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

You don't need a steering stabilizer, no.
A lot of these trucks came with a trailer towing package which included anti-sway bars front and rear, an oversize radiator, and a transmission cooler.
If you don't have those things, they can be found on other trucks that are being scrapped. The anti-swat bars are a very nice addition if you're towing or not.
Brakes is brakes, if they have good lining left and everything is moving freely, they should be fine. Myself, I change mine just because ... I like mine to be brand new.
I like to be able to go whenever I want, I figure I need to be able to stop whenever I want. That's just me though, I'm fussy that way.

Quick Reply: Towing and what I should do before.