Topic Sponsor

Strange things happening after changing the battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange things happening after changing the battery

1990 5.0 Lariat 2wd automatic e40d trans I think.

Long story short, battery went dead. Put in a new battery. After that it seemed to idle alot lower than normal when in park, or when I pull up somewhere and put it in park it acts like it almost dies. Today after a routine day of work and travel, I made a stop at my last job and it is record heat almost here in TN, and I parked on a super hot asphalt parking lot for about 2 hours while I finished up. Its at least 100 to 110 heat index by now, and when I pull out my trans seems to shift fine through 1st and 2nd, but goes long in second and I thought it was never going to hit OD but it finally did, and none were relatively hard shifts. So I drive a bit more to the house, and same thing goes throu 1st and 2nd smooth and fine, goes long in third, and in fourth is, I pump the throttle and let off and I can manipulate it into 4th but otherwise it goes really long. Dont know if any of these problems are related, but as I said it all started happening last friday when I put the battery with the idle and today with the tranny. The fliud level is fine, but it is in need of a change. Its probably got over 50000 or more on it. I know thats terrible but Im busy.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:52 PM

Forgot to mention, it rained like 6 inches here three days ago and I did have to drive through some higher water and Im sure some stuff got wet. Nothing over 6 inches though but it went everywhere when I went through it of course
Old 08-21-2014, 09:00 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

You might disconnect the battery and then the lights on for 30 minutes to reset everything. Also check your MLPS. They're notorious for being susceptible to water damage.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:43 AM

Update this morning it won't come out of first and seems like it slips to neutral.

Quick Reply: Strange things happening after changing the battery