Topic Sponsor

Steering fluid after gearbox change

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 10:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Steering fluid after gearbox change

Hello all!

I just changed the gear box. I am curious if there is a proper or improper way to add fluid after changing a reservoir or in this case a gearbox?

Thanks Mike
Old 04-22-2016, 10:51 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

Not really. They recommend to jack up the front end and turn the wheels from one end to the other several times. The fluid will keep going down, check it and fill often.

What do you use as power steering fluid? Ford recommends Type F automatic transmission fluid.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I changed my steering pump I thought it recommended using some specific procedure to I think eliminate air in system. I did the turn wheel side to side.

I am using the Amsoil super shift transmission fluid.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:56 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I replaced the steering gear on my 94 4x4 about a month ago. That gearbox is heavy. Do not be under it when the last bolt is removed if you do not have someone/thing holding it up!!!

To flush the steering system...

Get at least a half-gallon of steering fluid from your favorite source.

Disconnect the high-pressure line from the gearbox and attach a length of hose to it. Then route the hose down into your catch pan. A gallon size is just big enough if you have to make one.

To flush the pump you can do it one of two ways. I did both. I recommend the second option:

Method 1. Open the reservoir cap and have someone crank the engine. Almost immediately you will empty the reservoir as a jet of fluid shoots out the end of the hose above your catch pan. It will be like a firehose and you will have steering fluid all over your shop floor. You'll try to pour fluid into the filler neck to keep up, but all the while it will be spraying under your truck making a huge mess and the pump will run dry if you take a breath. You'll have no idea what's going on and will feel kinda stupid. But, lesson learned and no one got hurt.

Method 2. Remove the drive belt. Raise the front wheels off the ground. Open the reservoir cap and pour some fluid in. Nevermind the correct level, you will deal with that at the end. Spin the steering pump pulley by hand. Look in the reservoir to figure out which way to turn it. Have someone in the truck turning the steering wheel smoothly, and not fast, way left, then way right, then way left, then way right, etc. Add fluid until it flows out clean. I never realized steering fluid was clear! Once you get to that point turn the pump to lower the level, or add more to bring it up to where it should be. Put the lid on the filler neck. Put the truck on the ground. Put the drive belt back on. Attach the high-pressure line to the steering gear. Take it for a drive.

I'd also recommend a little anti-seize on the steering column shaft, as well as the pitman arm shaft. If you have a need to do this again, or for whatever reason, it will be easier to get the pieces apart.

PS. This questions isn't really related to the Drivetrain, but I answered it anyway.

Last edited by seschenburg; 06-30-2016 at 05:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Steering fluid after gearbox change