Topic Sponsor

Sporadic Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sporadic Shifting

1996 f150 5.0 302W: 7" lift 33"s w/ 4.56 gears. Truck won't shift until 4,500+ RPM's if you stay on the gas from a light, but if you baby the throttle it will shift at a lower RPM. Was thinking that the TPS may be going out? What else could cause this type of issue?
Old 11-06-2016, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a 1996 f150. my throttle popstion sensor would act up after car warmed up. it would get stuck in 2nd gear. Run fine cold. My scantool would not detect it. Took to a friend at transmission shop. He said TPS was showing wide open throttle. Put a new sensor in its been fine since. I just had another problem with transmission. My truck starting this hard shifting crap. Very intermittent until here lately. I was getting ready to replace transmission. I came across this article about vehicle speed sensor causing that problem. I changed it out today. Truck never shifted so smooth. Just hope it lasts. I have almost 300000 miles on my truck , been waiting to change transmission or engine so far sensors failing one by one. Hope this helps!
Old 11-07-2016, 03:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sporatic shifting

Awesome! Many thanks for the help, definitely going to start by swapping those two.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:56 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by ferb
i have a 1996 f150. my throttle popstion sensor would act up after car warmed up. it would get stuck in 2nd gear. Run fine cold. My scantool would not detect it. Took to a friend at transmission shop. He said TPS was showing wide open throttle. Put a new sensor in its been fine since. I just had another problem with transmission. My truck starting this hard shifting crap. Very intermittent until here lately. I was getting ready to replace transmission. I came across this article about vehicle speed sensor causing that problem. I changed it out today. Truck never shifted so smooth. Just hope it lasts. I have almost 300000 miles on my truck , been waiting to change transmission or engine so far sensors failing one by one. Hope this helps!
With 300 on the clock, you might be getting microscopic shavings in the diff oil which stick to the VSS (it's a magnetic sensor) and confuse it's signal. If it comes up again, try cleaning it ; and changing your diff oil.
The VSS is also one of those sensors where most people would tell you "motorcraft only". Same for the TPS and ECT.