Topic Sponsor

Some help with picking parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Some help with picking parts

Hello all, looking for some advice from those who are knowledgable

I'm looking at building a 5.0 (89) for better pulling power.

I have, so far, located a good motor to build as well as the heads.

The heads are bare and will need Valves and appropiate hardware, I have, from what I've read so far, determined I want this cam http://www.jegs.com/i/COMP-Cams/249/31-255-5/10002/-1 as it advertises good torque and compatibility with the stock computer (not something I want to deal with). However, being new to this, I need some advice as far as lifters, a valve and hardware kit, as well as a good rebuild kit (I don't know what sizes I'll need for pistons and bearings just yet) but if you guys could help me, potentially with links, for just the valve train alone would be a big help, because like I said, I'm going into this never having built one before :/ I'm armed only with experienced friends and a book.

On top of that, I guess I'm also going to need some headers and to re-do the exhaust system, is there a better y pipe available?

The truck its going into is an 89 F150 5.0 2wd

Last edited by Foolish_Mortal; 04-14-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:47 PM

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The obvious answer is to get the best parts you can afford...A forged block kit will go a long way as far as durability. When I rebuilt my last Mustang I was fortunate enough to know the right guy at a local machine shop and got a really good deal on the parts as long as I let them prep the block for me. If you're just going for the basics it will obviously be a lot cheaper for you.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Eagle/Eagle-Fo...72402/10002/-1

that is basically what was used in mine and I beat the hell out of it for well over 75k miles before I sold it and it still has no issues..(that's the only reason Mustangs exist, isn't it?)

I highly suggest an ARP Engine kit for all the bolts. Well worth it.

I'm ramblin here...
It's all about your budget but I believe you will be better served by investing the most that you can afford on the very best kit you can get your hands on. There are sooooo many choices for a 302 and I went with asetup that was recommended bythe racers I knew and I haven't been disappointed.

I highly recommend that you invest in having the block prepped by a well known machine shop...maybe you can get a break like I did.

Last edited by southernyankey1; 04-14-2014 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Get a Ford factory remanufactured long block for $2584, add dual Borla exhaust, and consider changing the rear gearing if you want pulling (towing) power or high speed performance. Just make sure the new diffy is limited slip. Do the diffy as the last upgrade. Just get the vehicle running first.

Not quite the answer you're looking for, but it'll drop right in, and you won't have to mess with cams, pistons, valves, compatibility, etc. A fresh engine will feel powerful and the dual exhaust will help throttle response.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Ca...o=F-150#Search
Old 04-15-2014, 12:04 AM

Borla doesn't appear to make anything for my truck, not interested in buying a new rotating assembly either as I've got a good block I would like to rebuild.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:19 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Seannnnnnn :hug:
The following users liked this post:
Foolish_Mortal (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by bobkyle2
Seannnnnnn :hug:
Kyleeeeeeeee

Quick Reply: Some help with picking parts