Topic Sponsor

Slip Yoke Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slip Yoke Problem?

1991 F 150 V6 2WD.

This week the what seems like the transmission slipping when I get to about 35 mph. The vibration actually starts around 15 mph. I had a new transmission put in about a year and a half ago. I crawled under the truck and it looks like the slip yoke may be going bad. I don't know about drive shaft type of stuff. Should I take it back to the trans shop and have them see if there is an actual transmission problem or should I just change the slip yoke and hope that solves the problem?

Slip Yoke. Driver's side view. 1991 F 150 V6 Automatic with overdrive.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:12 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

If the splines on the slip shaft are getting worn you would have to look at replacing that. If you still have vibration after that you could take it to the transmission shop.
Take it there with a bad shaft you know they're going to say that anything wrong with the trans was caused by the shaft.
If you can move the 2 parts of the slip shaft by hand and find play, it needs fixing.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:17 PM

So if I can move it while still attached to the truck, then it needs to be replaced. Based on the picture, can you tell anything? And if I remove the slip yoke and replace...are there any other parts I should replace while I have it off of the truck?

Thank you in advance.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:14 AM

Grab hold of the 2 halves and see if you can turn 1 independent of the other by hand. A tiny bit of movement by hand will be a lot by truck.
Also see if it has any play if you move it up and down.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:02 PM

Do you mean the slip shaft or the slip yoke that is attached to the front of the drive shafts and goes into trans?
Old 02-18-2017, 09:41 PM

My bad, sorry. I thought you were talking a slip joint. The picture doesn't come up on my computer for some reason (or I would have caught that).
Without a picture I can't really see what you mean - but what could go wrong with the yoke ?
Do you have a bad u-joint maybe ?
Might also be worth putting it up on axle stands and let it run in gear so you can make sure the driveshaft isn't bent; that'd set up a vibration too