Topic Sponsor

Slamming gears after warm up

Old 04-23-2014, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slamming gears after warm up

I just recently bought a '93 F150, 5.0l V8, automatic 261,000 miles on it. I first bought it thinking how great of shape it was in and now a few thousand dollars into it and getting frustrated. It starts fine. Currently no codes showing up. Run it for a few minutes before taking off and after about 5 to 10 minutes you feel like you are going to lose the transmission any moment. It slams into different gears and to the point you would have thought someone just hit it with a sledge hammer. I have replaced, rear gas tank, front gas tank fuel pump, new fuel filter, new plugs, wires, rotor and cap, new EGR valve solenoid, battery, rear axle speed sensor, checked vacuum lines, coil, and PCV valve. No help. Transmission shop ran diagnostic and it showed nothing wrong. EXHAUSTED AND DON'T KNOW WHERE TO GO FROM HERE... ANY ideas would be appreciated.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:22 PM

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

is it coming from the tranny area? It could be the rear end that is actually jerking/smashing
The following users liked this post:
hawkster (04-24-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 11:41 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

just because you didn't get codes doesn't mean no issue with the tranny, if it has never been serviced properly you could have issues internally, worn gears, clutches, plugged passages, etc.
hawkster (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 12:26 AM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

How we'll does the speedometer work, the psom controls shifting
hawkster (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FORD 4X4; DEFINITELY feels like the transmission right under where you sit is where it is hitting the hardest.
BSCOTTIE: Was/Am trying to get it running good enough to get it to the transmission shop again. The front fuel pump just went out, had it replaced but now the thing won't run on the front have to run the rear tank so have to carry it back down to the garage that did that repair and have them look at what might have happened with the new pump.
SDMARTIN65: The speedometer seems to be working fine. The cruise control works which someone else told me that if it didn't then I needed to replace a speed sensor on the transmission but for some weird reason mine doesn't have such a sensor only the one on the rear axle which I replaced and it didn't do anything. Seems this 93 was in the middle of Ford doing things different and what should be in places is not, hence the reason I am pulling my hair out. When I go to get parts and they don't know which one is on my truck. I buy both, I live 48 miles from the parts store, and use the one that matches what I have and take the other one back later.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slamming gears after warm up