Topic Sponsor

Shredded torque converter nuts won't come off

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 05:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shredded torque converter nuts won't come off

Issue with my transmission replacement. Only issue I'm having that is keeping me from replacing my trans is the old torque converter. I tried to remove the nuts with a conventional 14mm socket, and got one nut off but the other 3 stripped. Ordered an Irwin nut and bolt extractor socket set hoping they would help, and all the socket did was destroy the nuts. Any tips for removing the last 3? Not really enough room for a grinder, don't have access to a torch and I don't have the money to get a new flex plate so cutting it apart isn't an option.. I can't re use the old converter because it's what caused my original trans to go. Need help, my grandma wants her 95 f150 that I'm driving for now back as soon as possible...
Old 11-08-2015, 09:27 PM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

can you fit some vice grips in there to crank them out? maybe heat the nuts up a little to make them easier to turn
Old 11-09-2015, 05:52 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

If you have the inspection cover removed you should be able to get a dremel with a cutting wheel up in there. It'll take a while but it can be done.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by justintendo
can you fit some vice grips in there to crank them out? maybe heat the nuts up a little to make them easier to turn
I'm sure I can get vise grips on them but I'll have to buy a new set first. Someone stole everything that was in my truck bed tool box. Ratchet straps, jumper cables, a cordless impact gun, 80 piece socket set and all my pliers and vise grips. I'll also have to get a torch head for a propane bottle to heat then up enough.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Crownman
If you have the inspection cover removed you should be able to get a dremel with a cutting wheel up in there. It'll take a while but it can be done.
Entire trans is out of the truck. I tried to see if I could get my angle grinder in the space but there wasn't enough room. I'll try to find a dremel tool to use on a warm day
Old 11-10-2015, 06:14 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Start looking around for a flex plate. Somebody might have scrapped a truck recently. 20.00 should get you one. Try throwing a wanted ad up on kijiji.ca. Plenty of guys on there in B.C.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Start looking around for a flex plate. Somebody might have scrapped a truck recently. 20.00 should get you one. Try throwing a wanted ad up on kijiji.ca. Plenty of guys on there in B.C.
Didn't think of checking kijiji. Would an angle grinder even be able to cut through a flexplate?
Old 11-10-2015, 10:01 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by notsosporty98
Entire trans is out of the truck. I tried to see if I could get my angle grinder in the space but there wasn't enough room. I'll try to find a dremel tool to use on a warm day
If the trans is outlook at the torque converter side if the flex plate right where the bolt comes through. The body of the converter shouldn't be against the flex plate, only the 4 mounting spots should be touching it. Rent a sawzall and cut through the mounts and the bolts.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just went through this.

Originally Posted by notsosporty98
Issue with my transmission replacement. Only issue I'm having that is keeping me from replacing my trans is the old torque converter. I tried to remove the nuts with a conventional 14mm socket, and got one nut off but the other 3 stripped. Ordered an Irwin nut and bolt extractor socket set hoping they would help, and all the socket did was destroy the nuts. Any tips for removing the last 3? Not really enough room for a grinder, don't have access to a torch and I don't have the money to get a new flex plate so cutting it apart isn't an option.. I can't re use the old converter because it's what caused my original trans to go. Need help, my grandma wants her 95 f150 that I'm driving for now back as soon as possible...
So here is the deal. There was absolutely no way to get this off. Here's the deal. Get a stripped/ rounded bolt socket kit from oriellys or wherever. I had to take the oil pan off the motor. Here's how I did it. Get an engine hoist and pull the motor mounts. Pick up the motor and pull the oil pan. It's the only way to save the converter. Once you get that off. If you're careful of the oil pickup tube. You can get a hammer in there. Bang on the rounded bolt 14 mm socket. Get somebody on the crank pulley with a breaker bar or torque wrench. And a 18 mm socket. Get a jack handle on back or ratchet and break it loose. Then spin the motor and get the remaining bolts out the same way. The nut will be stuck in the socket each time. You have to bang it out of there with something. Hope this helps. Make sure you get a new oil pan gasket! And tighten back up your oil pan bolts. Don't strip those too. Use the extracter kit there as well if you need to. Same thing. Hammer it on.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:09 PM

Received 495 Likes on 429 Posts

It's been almost five years now and he may have already retired his truck to the junkyard by now.

Quick Reply: Shredded torque converter nuts won't come off