Topic Sponsor

should I rebuild E4OD

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default should I rebuild E4OD

ok so I have a 1993 f150 5.8L with an E4OD.
my torque converter has reached the end of its life. it is making a squealing sound whenever it is applying lockup, watching the rpms verified that it is slipping and probably has no clutch material left.
anyways my question is whether or not I should just rebuild the whole transmission while it is out?
for the most part the trans seems to work good, although not perfect.
1-2 upshift is good and firm, 2-3 and 3-4 are soft, shifting into reverse acts kinda strange--it does a double bump/engagement, first "bump" is almost instantly after moving the shifter, and the second bump with full engagement is about 2 seconds later. I don't know if this is a common E4OD reverse problem or not. I've heard of the delayed reverse but not quite these symptoms.

so basically I'm trying to decide either to rebuild or to just change the converter and fix-up the accumulator(using the sonnax valves) for better shifts.
Any suggestions?
oh and the truck has 200k miles on it. I've only owned it for 3K so I don't know the history of the transmission.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:05 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

It all comes down to your budget to be honest. Also, early model E4ODs (such as your 93) tend to need many upgrades, which can become costly.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:22 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

95 & 96 e4od's had all the ugrades, 95 should be a straight swap I think, you'd have to do some research on 96 (because of the change to obd2, may or may not make a difference.
Getting an e4od rebuilt with a convertor is costing in the 2000 range if it's not too chewed up inside.
If you can keep it going for a while, do some shopping, you may find a good one for cheap.
I just sold one out of a truck with 57,000 original on it (I was parting out the truck) for $300. If someone just had theirs rebuilt in the last year or two and now their motor's lunched or the truck's too rusty you could get a good deal.
With what a rebuild costs these days you could buy a beater truck with a good tranny for much less.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:37 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

Just to add, the solenoid on the 95-96 unit will have to be switched out with the 93 unit. Maybe the MLPS.

There is also the rare 97 E4OD that came on the F250/F350s with the 5.8. Solenoid and MLPS will definitely need switching on that.

Quick Reply: should I rebuild E4OD