Topic Sponsor

Rumble when climbing at slow speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rumble when climbing at slow speed

Just asking. I have a 95 f150 xlt. When I am climbing an incline at slower speeds. I hear and feel a rumble like I am driving over rumble strips. It is not constant, its intermittent. When the truck shifts to cruising gear it stops. If the truck shifts down and I am going a high speed like on the interstate it does not do this. The transmission fluid is full and red it does not smell burnt. There are no other troubles with the operation of the transmission. Thanks.

Last edited by family tradition; 01-19-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on most ford trucks from early 90's to late model, the rear ends are prone to having a fluid drying out, you can get it at most part stores, at slow speeds the rear end shudders especially on inclines and turns. im not sure what the fluid is called but it is just a mineral based fluid that you can put into a port underneath your housing. this may be your problem.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How do you check that fluid?
Old 01-21-2014, 03:58 AM

I was afraid it might be the rear end. I'll Google and see what I can do or expect. Thanks
Old 01-24-2014, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it limited slip, or open Diff? check the nut that holds holds the yoke on. you will need to take the drive shat down to torque it, but, it may be sufficient to try wiggling the yoke. So with the truck blocked so it can't roll over you, shift into neutral so there is no tension on the driveline. Engine not running. Grab the drive shaft and try to move it side to side. If there is wiggle where it connects to the yoke that goes in the rear end, then it is loose. The nut can be tightened. It could be just u-joints. Are your u joints the greasable kind, or sealed. If greasable, grease them and then see if the noise changes. You can check the fluid easily. There is a plug somewhere on the pumpkin. It's different on different rear ends. But pull the plug, and stick you little finger in the hole, if you can find fluid, it is good, if you cant reach fluid it is low. The fluid should be changed once in a while. I can't remember the interval, but probably every 30k or so under most conditions. Probably the first change is the more important one.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:30 AM

went to the parts store to get the gear oil for the rear end. the guy there said that the shutter was a transmission problem and sold me a product in a small tube to add to the fluid. I did that 3 days ago and it seems to have stopped the shutter. As for the u-joints I did not crawl under, but a friend from work did for me. He said they looked good. So when it warms up some and not a minus anything. I will check the gear oil.

Quick Reply: Rumble when climbing at slow speed