Topic Sponsor

Rattle in the shifter knob

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle in the shifter ****

1990 f150 302 5 speed. She rattles when I accelerate but only when I mash down on the accelerater and not in any particular gear or speed. I don't feel it in the pedals. It doesn't do it all the time either which is weird. I checked the drive shaft and it wasn't loose and seems fine, I had the U joints replaced 6 months ago when I needed a new pressure plate. The clutch, I was told, was fine. The fact that is does vibrate all the time tells me it's not the drive shaft or the drive train at all but I was wondering if I was missing something. Ive had to replace the map sensor in may 2016. Maybe it's an airflow problem I don't know.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:09 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

General rule is if you feel it in the steering wheel its probably the front end, and if you feel it thru the floor its the rear. Not always true, but a good place to start.

If you feel it thru the shifter first place I would look would be the transmission mount. That would be an easy fix. Could also be a bearing in the transfer case or tranny.

You said you got the u joints replaced - you were referring to the rear driveshaft u joints? If not then THAT is the first place I would look.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:19 PM

Default Yes

yes the rear u joint. I dropped the drive shift and worked both ends to ensure both joints to good and they were. I'll add that I did look around the tranny and there isn't any excess fluid nor smell from the transmission so I don't know if that's what you would be looking for
Old 02-14-2017, 06:41 PM

Default Curious

I'm curious too. I've got a fresh tyranny, clutch, U-joints, flywheel and mine vibrates at higher RPMS. I found a trashed motor mount so I'm going to replace them both. I hope that helps it